Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct Connection Problem - WinSPM to Legend 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

FHS0929

Technical User
Dec 13, 2002
US
We had DOS SPM installed on an old machine, connected to the phone system via CAT5 cable, 355AF adapter. This machine is dying, therefore I decided to try installing WinSPM on one of our laptops to try to eliminate the old machine. Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7500, Win98. I downloaded and installed all the upgrades/patches to take WinSPM from R2 to R7. Then I setup a site. When I click on the connect button, I always get the Failed To Connect fault message. My connection now from the admin port using the same CAT5 cable, 355AF adapter, 25-9 adapter, 9-pin COM port on laptop. This should work but its not. Same setup, minus the 25 to 9 adapter, works with the DOS SPM on the old box. COM port set up for 2400,8,N,1; and I've been playing with the flow control. No combination works. 1200 doesn't work either. Any ideas? Yes, I've tried a different laptop, and even stripped the installation, and reinstalled only to R3. Help please.

I found that if any other application that used com ports had a process running, even though not in use, win98 up gets cranky about connecting. The touch pad driver seemed to screw it up also. Disbale touch pad permanently and reboot.
Good luck!

the problem may be your upgrades , use the unistalled progams in winspm delete it and do a clean install with release 7, specialy alot of problems with R 2

ScoTTeL, thanks for the tip. I tried to just disable the touchpad through Device Manager, it disabled, and as soon I rebooted, the touchpad was reenabled, despite the device still being disabled. Went back in, turned my usb mouse, modem, etc, anything that could possibly use a COM port, tried again, same thing. I will see if I can use a desktop on monday for a trial.

bobsou, k, do you know where I can get my hands on release 7? I only have release 2 on CD and then all the upgrades I downloaded, which I believe you have to start with 2, then upgrade 2 to 3, patch 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6, 6 to 7. Or am I wrong? and I can just install the 6 to 7 without a preexisting copy of WinSPM installed?

someone had a zip copy in the forum , also with the same cables you have move them to the SMDR port , above the admin port , program on your win 98 to use Hyperterminal with the same setting 8 n 1 1200 speed do you get your ca lling read out ,just curious to see if that works

As an aside to this thread, can anyone tell me where I can get the 355AF adapter?

any avaya dealer should be able to supply you with one. They surprisingly cost about $60 bucks. I have a few on the shelf, but am weary of using the forum to sell. Shoot a message if you are in need.

I am having the exact same problem. I have WinSPM - Release 7.0 running on Windows 98. The 355A/F adapter connected to a DB25/DB9 converter connected to the COM port of a Gateway Desktop PC. I have tried connecting a regular CAT5 and a CAT5 crossover cable from the 355A/F adapter to the ADMIN Port. Site configuration – Direct (enabled), COM port (1), Baud Rate (2400). When I click on the connect button, I receive the “Failed To Connect” error message.

I have not be able to connect to the system to make changes since the new procesor was installed. Is it necessary to enable the ADMIN port? If so, how is this done?

Netadministrator: have you tried a standard mod8 cable (jack to Merlin phone)? COM port should be set N,8,1,2400. Then under WinSPM7 click on "Settings" "Configure TAPI" Select your Modem, in next window ensure modem speed is set for 2400, Protocol and Compression "disabled", Flow Control "none".

Make sure your DB25 to DB9 is not a null rollover. There are two different types. straight and rollover.

As I just mentioned on another post, the problem may be that your PBX software load won't support WIN SPM -- I have a site that works just that way. If you started out with DOS SPM, you may have to load DOS SPM onto your new computer and work that way. Good luck! Phonia
Telecom Goddess

Joe and everyone else...
Make your own "355" adapters ..
Here's the Pinout and parts ya' need ..

To make an adapter for the Legend or Magix, using GRAYBAR part no.: ATDB9F-8

(the pin numbers listed are that of the DB9 back side of connector, numbered 1-9, the Color is that of the wires coming off the 8 pin modular female connector)

PIN COLOR
----------------------------------------
1 Orange
2 Green
3 Yellow
4 Black
5 Red
6 vacant
7 vacant
8 Blue
(the White and Brown wire is unused)

Now You can provide for your clients too, and save 45 bucks!

FHS0929, I would definitely suspect the 25-to-9 adapter. There are dozens of different ways to connect the pins on the DB9 to the pins on the DB25, and if they aren't correct for your particular application, it will not work. The Lengend/Magix documentation for this connection specifies a 6-foot Radio Shack DB25-to-DB9 cable, part number 26-269, selling for about $13. The cable should be available at your local store, but I would call ahead and supply them with the part number first to make sure.

If you want to use a DB25-to-DB9 adapter rather than the cable, it must be wired in the same fashion as is the recommended cable. I attempted to locate the pinout of the cable on the Radio Shack site, but could not find this info. If you visit the store, the 26-269 cable package will probably show its pinout on the back, and you could ask for an adapter with the same pinout rather than get the 6' cord.

If you don't have time to mess with it, I'd get that specified cable and it should work as per the documentation. If not, at least you've eliminated the adapter as a potential cause of the problem.

Hope this helps!

Roger

Problem Solved!!!

ScoTTel and rhislop were right about the DB9/DB25 adapter. I found eight of them lying around and started going through them until one connected. They were not marked in any way so it was a shot in the dark.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Stars for everyone!!

I made the db9 per the documenation and i cant get winspm v7 to work. I did install from 2.0 up to 7.0 per the different updates that were available.

I am running windows nt 4.0 workstation and all installs fine but i cant connect to the phone system.

MERLIN LEGEND
R7 V9 (i think is what i have)

Where can i get the full 7.0 release install instead of all these upgrades ? any ideas on why i cant connect ? and where can i get dos spm in case i need it.

I have a similar pinout as Mr. Telecom has, but my pinout for the DB9 connector has orange going to pins 1,6, & 8, and blue going to pin 9. This works fine, but I have not tried it the other way as Mr. Telecom suggested.

Thanks to all for the helpful insights and tips. They are very much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back