Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensions on Axis Without Using CrossJoin

Status
Not open for further replies.

katams2

Programmer
Jun 30, 2001
US
Can you put different dimensions on one axis without using a cross join?

I know you can do this:
select {[deliverytype].[alldeliverytype], [deliverytype].[alldelivertype].children} on columns

But, can you do this:
select {[deliverytype].[alldeliverytype].children, [latecode].[alllatecode].children on columns

It doesn't appear you can without doing a cross join, and don't want to display the results as such.

Thanks!

Hi, Katams2.

May be try to use 'Descendants' function?
In my examle is:
select {Descendants([Time],Year),Descendants([Time],Month)} on columns
from Sales

may be can choose your example to:

select {Descendants([deliverytype],alldeliverytype),Descendants([latecode],alllatecode)} on columns

try this and tell me if it is successful

Thanks, Issahar

I tried your suggestion and get the same error:
"Unable to open cellset -- Formula error - Unknown error"

Looks like you have to always use crossjoins.

The other option if the "flatten out" the dimension and put all the options in the fact table. Not the best solution, but I can't see another way of doing it. The good think is that at most there would be five additional columns in the fact table.

Thanks so much for your response!

Hi, Katams2!
I think I know why my example didh't help you.
That is because in my exmple both 'descendants' was operated on the same dimension [Time]. And in your - in two different dimensions.

I will think about something else to help you.

My best regards, Issahar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back