Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimension 3100 Memory 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Technical User
Dec 2, 2004
US
I have a Dimension 3100 and am trying to figure out if the RAM has to match in the two memory slots. When I purchased the computer with 512 it came with 2 - 256 memory cards. I was wanting to upgrade and did not know if they need to be kept the same or not. I would like to purchase just a 1 gb and replace 1 of the 256 with it. I tried to contact Dell but since my warranty is up they want to charge for everything.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

ck1999

Research reveals that this system uses standard every day DDR2 PC5300 667mhz 240pin Non ECC memory.
Thats about the cheapest memory type at the momemt so it might be worth getting a 2X 1gig kit?
Anyway here is a link (Kingston is known to work well)

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
she touches soul, bare sits with me half the man I used to be

ck1999,
Well, there are different configurations available for the 3100. Here is the basic specifications on Dell's site:

It shows that it comes initially with either 400MHz or 533MHz DDR2. Find out what your CPU's frontside bus (FSB) is running at, then get DDR2 that matches that speed. If you can successfully run one stick at the same speed as the FSB, then you don't need dual-channel which requires two matching sticks.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks cdogg,

I had looked at the current memory and new it was a PC2-4200 type of memory. But what I was wanting to know was if the had to be the same memory size or not.

I look in the Bios after reading your suggestion.
This is what it said

bus speed 800mhz

Memory info
512 m 533 Dual Interleaved

From this I am concluding that the memory amounts have to be the same and like paparazi mentioned use a 2x1gb memory.

ck1999

Well, you're on the right track.

Because the FSB is set at 800MHz, then you could match that with one stick of 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400) and not have to use a pair of memory sticks in dual-channel. In fact, running that in single-channel mode would actually be a bit more efficient and quicker (though perhaps not noticeable).

However, the catch is finding out what your motherboard supports. It might not support PC2-6400. If that's the case, then I suggest you upgrade using 2x1GB sticks of 400MHz PC2-3200. Running them in dual-channel gives you the matching 800MHz you need.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

You are right of course but I'll stick with my original recommendation.
MY REASONING:
I know the board in this machine supports PC2 5300 667mhz which is faster than he has fitted at the moment.

The PC2 6400 800mhz you suggest looks ideal but we don't know wether the board supports it!

I certainly wouldn't go for PC2 3200 because thats slower than he has fitted at present.

And PC2 5300 is the cheapest and easiest memory type to find.

So the logical and Safe solution is PC2 5300 667mhz (faster/cheaper/works)

Martin

she touches soul, bare sits with me half the man I used to be

Yes indeed, most motherboards (very last DDR nforce 2's and now DDR2 mainboards) are dual channel, so a pair of modules will gain you a few percent performance increase(anything between 1-4%) not much but it's there.
Martin

Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

If someone told me five...even three years ago that quality RAM could be had for $19.99 per GB I would have had a good laugh...I still am in awe...[surprise]...and grateful.

Tony

"...an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind" - M.L. King

I certainly wouldn't go for PC2 3200 because thats slower than he has fitted at present.

That's true, it is slower. I suggested it because PC2-3200 in dual-channel would have the same bandwidth as the CPU's 800MHz FSB. But at the same time I realize ditching the 4200 stick doesn't make much sense.

When it comes to memory configurations, I'm a stickler for matching the memory bus/bandwidth evenly with the FSB when possible. I've always felt having a 1:1 ratio is better than going with a slightly faster memory module which introduces more latency into the equation.

But I guess that's a matter of preference! [bigcheeks]

so a pair of modules will gain you a few percent performance increase(anything between 1-4%) not much but it's there

The performance gains of dual-channel vary depending on the situation. In the days of DDR1 400MHz, Intel was just starting to release CPUs with an 800MHz FSB. Because DDR1 400MHz was the fastest technology available, the solution was to run two modules in dual-channel to match the memory bus (200MHz) and bandwidth (6.4GB/s). In many tests, you would see anywhere from 15-30% increases by using dual-channel over single-channel.

On the Athlon XP side of the coin, the frontside bus was still stuck at 400MHz. The Athlon 64 hadn't been released yet which introduced the Hypertransport interface (speeds of 800MHz and beyond). So as a result, people who ran dual-channel on the XP boards saw very little if any difference (less than 5% in most cases). A lot of people had the tendency to trash-talk the new technology for that reason not realizing how much it helped on Intel boards.

When DDR2 first came out at 400MHz (100MHz x 4), it was pointless to buy. Running DDR1 in dual-channel was faster because the memory bus was clocked at 200MHz instead of DDR2's slower 100MHz. DDR2 didn't gain popularity until 1066MHz and faster FSB's became mainstream which stretched beyond DDR1's reach.

So the moral of the novel is it depends on the CPU and whether you're talking about DDR1 or DDR2...

~cdogg

I should add that when faster DDR2 modules eventually came out, DDR1 in dual-channel was no longer needed since a single stick of 800MHz DDR2, for example, was faster and more efficient.

Then DDR3 was released on schedule to avoid any real need of running DDR2 in dual-channel. So in a roundabout way, dual-channel has pretty much gone the way of the dodo...

I have read this thread with interest, particularly cdogg's contribution.

My question is this if someone can help:
I want to upgrade my PC from a 64-bit Sempron 2600 to an Athlon 3200, based on an Elite ECS K8M800-M2 motherboad which supports Hypertransport from 400-1600 MT/s.

It has 512MB DDR1 400 and I want to add another 1GB. Can I use DDR2 400 with this motherboard, and can I mix it with the existing DDR1 memory. Even if I need to remove DDR1, I would be quite happy, but will the motherboard support DDR2, or do I need to stick to DDR1?

Thanks.

[ponder]

sedacca
I'm afraid this socket 754 motherboard only takes DDR1.
DDR2 has different keyways and simply won't fit.
Martin

Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Also realize that socket 754 does not support dual-channel. That was one of the main differences with socket 939.

~cdogg

Thanks cdogg. I get confused with all this dual-channel stuff

[3eyes]

Trust me, you're not the only one!

You're welcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back