Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital Unix 4.0F 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

meinnm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
US
I am running a 4.0F on a DEC alpha 3000 (DEC Alpha model # is: PE42A-B9). It crashed with the following error:
Panic! ftx_fail_2,LGR_READ FAILED!
N1=-1064

It will not boot up to mulit user mode. I can boot to singleuser. I have rebuilt the system disk. Replaced all parts except for Memory DIMMS and Dual port SCSI 'Turbo channel' board (because I do not have these in my spares depot). Does anyone know what the error means or a site that I can look up the error? Is there something else I should try? Any help is greatly appreciated. I really need to get this system back up. Thanks in advance!

-Monica

Thanks for the info. I took a look at it but couldn't find anything. This system has been running for years. We are frozen so it has to stay the same. I am really stumped. I thought if it was a software problem rebuilding my disk from an old backup (I went back to 1/06) would fix it. Do you think it looks like a software or hardware problem? Any information/comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Monica

It sounds like log file corruption within AdvFS. Have you tried a fsck?

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

I thought you could not run a fsck on advfs? Can you? Is it just fsck or is it another program? Let me know. Thanks for your help it is appreciated!

You are correct, the man pages clearly state that fsck should not be used on AdvFS file systems. In the past I have had some success with the verify command (/sbin/advfs/verify), though please see the man pages before using it. More often that not, though, I have had to recreated the AdvFS domain and filesets as follows:
re-label the disk
remove the 'corrupt' AdvFS domain
create a new AdvFS domain
add in the required fileset(s)
mount the new AdvFS domain to its original mount-point
restore the contents from backup tape

It does look like a disk related problem (AdvFS). You said in your original post that you could boot to single user mode. Can you run bcheckrc from there? And if you can, are all the file systems that should be mounted, now present, (df -k command)?

I hope that helps.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back