Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital phones go to "please wait"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwchipper

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2007
US
We moved 12 users from IP phones to Digital phones by changing the extensions numbers in the manager extension config. Periodically four or five of the phones change to "please wait" on the display. We then powered down the IPO 406 and the 400 boxes> then powered back up. All extensions cleared and went back to there original extension numbers. WE then changed the extension numbers to what they are supposed to be and rebooted the IPO.
Current status: Two extensions work perfectly with the correct extension number.
One extension says "please wait"
Two extensions have the incorrect extension number and will not change on the display even if we change them in manager and reboot.
IPO ver 3.0(69)

Anyone have some thoughts.

Thanks

the phone are waithing for a file from a tftp server
what happens if you leave manager open ?

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

The first time I installed an IPO500, I found it rather odd that the DIGITAL phones are doing TFTP. Yes, this is the case, you want to make sure you have Manager open, I had this issue. Also, when you have more phones coming up at once than the system can handle, some phones will come up with no extensions. Just unplug the phone, wait 10 secs or so, and plug it in again. It should work fine.

ACA-Implementation IP Office
ACA-Implementation IP Telephony
CCNA
MCP-Windows XP
MCP-Server 2003

These are digital phones. I think we have some bad ports or need a software upgrade?

i do understand that these are digital phones, and i do understand that this is an ip office 500, which means that you are running 4.0, which means that the phones need firmware upgrades. in order to upgrade the firmware, they will tftp the files from the server running manager. when you plug the phones in, just make sure that you have the manager interface running and the digital phones will grab the new firmware from that machine via tftp. i know, digital phones and tftp, it sounds weird, it did to me too, but trust me.

if they still come up blank after the firmware upgrade, just try and reboot the phone by unplugging and re-plugging.

also, make sure that if you are connecting these via an expansion module, that the expansion module is up to the same firmware as the base module.

CCNA
MCP-Windows XP
MCP-Server 2003

3.0 69 does not require a firmware update. That is what this system is on according to the post.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACS - IP Office Implement
ACE - IP Office Implement
ACI - IP Office Implement

i stand corrected

CCNA
MCP-Windows XP
MCP-Server 2003

There are no broken ports
sometimes this happens
two things you could do
leave a tftpserver open or use the batchfile that is in the manager folder
this batchfile stops the request

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Thaks everyone for posts on my digital phone problem. I was involved with several issues the last few days. Several concerning a 3COM NBX!

Anyway this is an IPO 406 runnning 3.069. we seemed to have gotten most of the extension numbering problems ironed out by
by deleting duplicate extensions/using *36/ deleting and redue'ing a few users. However, we still have one or two digital phones that go into the "please wait" state for no reason. Only way to get rid of it is move it to another port that works and recognizes an extension. I am think we need to upgrade this beast to 3.2 and maybe the problems will go away.

I there anyway to have more than 3 PRI circuits into an IPO 406?

Thanks for everyones help!

Upgrade it to a 412 and you can have 4.

Or network another IPO onto it and scn together.

Check the Power supplies of your DS Units.
If they are V2 especially.

Also check you dont have a rogue phone or Lan connection plugged into the DS units as they do not like it.

Last thing to check is that you do not have a phone that has lost its SW. It is possible I dont care what any of you lot say the phones DO and CAN loose the firmware and can upset the system.

ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

I'll check all that on Tuesday.

After reading all the posts on 4.0 and being a novice on the IPO I am concerned about the negative effect 4.0 might have on my life! I am thinking 3.069 to 3.2 might be a safer bet?

4.0 is fine.

Do it!

I tell everybody to use v4 as a matter of course.

Version 4 is fine. It has some niggles but is not a reason NOT to install it.
Do it!!!! Treat your self :)

ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back