Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital Certificates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION HERE:

Is it possible to lock down an app that is open to the public (using Nfuse / Web Interface) and giving access to only those outside/public users who have the correct digital certificate on/in their browser??

I want to create unique certificates and give them to only the users that I want to have access... I first need to kow if it's possible....

Thanks so much!
Brandon

Yes it is possible. You will either have to buy a certificate from the usual suspects verisign etc or install a MS Certificate Services. MS adds a slight oadmin overhead in that you have to issue the certificates, but then again you can issue to who you want to.

Cheers
Scott

Scott- You are the man.. you have made my day!!
This is what I have done...

Set up a Private CA (MS)...
Have made and installed Root certs and Server certs...

I have worked for hours trying to figure out how to make a CUSTOM CERT and make them alll unique so that will have the ability to revoke them whenever the 'contractor' no longer needs access to out public site...

Do you know how to do this!! (Please say yes...)

Thanks!
Brandon

Brandon,

It can all be a whole bit confusing. What I tend to do is to have them hit the CA admin site, and request a certificate. This is then issued by you to the said peson via e-mail or whatever. Once this contractor has left you can then revoke the certificate.

I cannot claim to be an expert in this as I like you have battered my skull against a brick wall,

Cheers
Scott

Scott- thanks...

I don't want to open that site up to the public (Admin site). I just can't (for the life of me) figure out how to create USER CERTIFICATE AND CUSTOMIZE IT.

When I click create a user cert- it grabs all the info automatically... Any ideas here? or any suggestions? I have posted this question on so many sites and everybody says it can be done but nobody knows how...

Thanks again-
Brandon

Correction(s)

I went ahead and installed a New "Stand Alone" CA... This was a problem before because I was using an Enterprise CA. Ok, so here's my next big question:

How does my site know not to allow access unless the Cert is in the user's browser?? I mean, how does my public site get 'linked' to the fact that I don't want people accessing it unless they have the 'approved' cert from me??? Does this make sense??

I hope so!!

Thanks!
Brandon

Yes, have the book (Madden is 'the man')... Thanks to both of you!

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back