Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital Camera linked to Firewire no recognized by XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

concisa

Technical User
May 7, 2006
US
At my wits end. I have often used a Sony Digital Camera connected to a Firewire port in my Sony Vaio. It has always worked flawlessly until yesterday afternoon.

I had just finished transferring two tapes to the PC and turned the camera off.

Half an hour later, turned the camera back on to continue the work I was doing. From this point on the Windows XP Pro SP2 has no longer recognized the camera. No Autoplay shows, the Cam does not show on My Computer, and Device Manager shows everything OK -- no yellow or red markings.

I've already tried rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and 1394 bus controllers, scanning for new devices. I've searched all forums and Microsoft Knowledge Base. NOTHING!!

Would anybody have any advice? Please help!!!

Thanks

Armando

I had already done that article to no avail.

Thanks

Yes, I tried it in another PC (it works) and another cable at the same PC (it does not work).

Note that the same camera at the same PC was working just half an hour ago. As a matter of fact, this set up has worked for months.

Thanks,

Armando

I am guessing that if you had another firewire device you would have tried that already. Sounds like you have a hardware failure.

Actually I am inclined to believe that it might be a registry error somewhere.

The reason I think that it that the set up has worked properly for months and was working as expected until I turned the camera OFF. At this moment, I heard the "bipping" sound indicating that the device was disconnected. When I turned it back on later, it never connected again.

Thanks for the support,

Armando

Have you tried System Restore? Have you tried a different User logon?

This program may fix things if AutoPlay is faulty -

Autoplay Repair Wizard - Autofix.exe

330135 - The AutoRun or AutoPlay Feature Does Not Work

This thread is all about USB, the only reason I mention it is that it contains information about Registry settings. You could search around the mentioned areas and see if you can adapt it to the Firewire problem?

How to recover 'damaged' Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256MB?
thread779-1311502

Have you tried removing/uninstalling anything in the Device Manager to do with Firewire, rebooting, and have Windows rediscover the hardware?

Thanks, Linney.

Actually I had already visited the links you mentioned. I had also tried the Autoplay Repair Wizard and it deals only with volumes that Device Manager can see, and unfortunately, the CAM is not a "volume" per se.

It is indeed a puzzle.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Armando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back