Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital Cable? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokwww

Technical User
Dec 25, 2002
Hi, I'm working on someone's house right now, and basically, from the pole they have a run to each location of coax. I'm wondering why did home runs from the pole... Does digital cable require a special filter (i.e. the super expensive satellite ones)? Can I just splice into one of the existing lines with a regular Radio Shack splitter?

Thanks
-Alok

Are they providing digital cable service? What type of devices do the cables attach to inside the house?

The cables for the TV come from the pole but theres just like 4 run straight to the rooms, not one to the house and then split.

They attach to digital cable recievers (ATT).

Hey,

You should be able to use a splitter just fine as long as the signal level is decent. Usually from channels 1-100 they're actually analog stations, anything over 100 is digital. So it shouldn't be too bad unless you have a low signal level already.

The different services on the coax come in along different frequencies, so just make sure your splitter has the bandwidth to support everything.

Thanks for your replies! I really appreciate your help!
-Alok

You should probably use a splitter that is rated for at least 1ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back