Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digging up the BCM50 again... telnet and ssh anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaHVXblGCpUl5GXm9JsE

Technical User
Oct 31, 2013
GB
re: thread1361-1310457 (digging it up, rather)

I realise this is an old thread, but I wanted to see if anyone else was still interested in the BCM50 inner fiddles..? It's a fantastic piece of hardware.

I have a UK release 3, version 6 something, and after staring at it long enough, I pulled it off the shelf, applied unix knowledge, mounted its HD on a linux system, and enabled (very easily) telnet and logged in with the root account. The system isn't in use, and is useless as it is. It's on a local lan and I'm not worried about snooping.

There are many interesting things in there which back up many folks claims, and deny others.

The system has an 80gig HD in it. 37 of it is not partitioned.. and wasted. The original system only utilises the firt 37-40 gigs. I suppose buying a 40gig sata drive these days is impossible however, but the space could be better used for the call-pilot data for instance..? Hmnn.

Has anyone else bothered to faddle around in these out of curiousity now that they're appearing all over ebay on either side of the atlantic? These are truly enigmatic beasts, from a unix point of view and telephony standpoint.

I was spurred on by a post where folks wished to back up their license files when I started poking around.

Apologies if this is unhelpful. It's obviously not intended for end-user or customer premises situations! Avaya won't talk to me as I'm not a revenue source and don't need an upgrade from Rel3 to 5, so it's a brick anyhow. ;)

Funny old world!. I hadn't realised that I started that thread way back in 2006. I also have a test BCM 50 at V2 that I play with. I'd be interested to hear more from you. Perhaps you can follow my link please?.

I didn't know that it was possible to telnet or SSH onto the BCM 50 without the nnsupport access code.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Ahh.. F-Scrambler, alas, I don't use social/business networking sites for various reasons.
I'm an ol e-mail and telephone conversation type.. I'd be happy to share what I know indeed.

If you don't mind, please have a look at the link in my signature.. the page is an ancient Norstar page which I leave alone because of the hits it gets.. it's got a temporary contact link..

wisdom + wisdom = more wisdom! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back