Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difficulty Running Program Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyholmes

Programmer
Mar 17, 2004
AU
Hi,

I have crystal Enteprise installed locally on my machine and i am trying to run a Program Object on another machine, but i am having difficulty.

I have created my Object and added it to the Objects list and in the Process "Paramaters" option in the working directory i have specified the path:

//194.163.6.18/crystal/test

which is the IP address and directory of where i want the object to run. I have also stated the correct username and password in the Process Logon field. However i keep getting the message

Error Message: The working directory '//194.163.6.18/crystal/test' could not be found.

Does anybody have any ideas of why this is failing. Is there something obvious i have forgotten or left out.Or is there a way through crystal i can test the path name is correct.

Thanks to anyone who assists with any helpful suggestions.

What is this program object?

Is the file called test, or test.exe, or test.html, or?

I'd guess that the path or name is incorrect, try fully qualifying it.

Use File->Open->Browse from IE to locate the file you wish to run to verify it's location/name.

Perhaps the directory isn't shared?

-k

The file i am trying to run is called Test.bat.

It is not located in the directory '//194.163.6.18/crystal/test' on my server.This is the directory in which i wish the batch file to be executed.

My understanding is that I have created test.bat and added it to the File Repository Server. I understand this is then copied to the program job server when it is scheduled to be run, and then copied to my specified working directory to be executed.

However it seems that somehow i cannot connect to my server at //194.163.6.18/

Does the user account running the program job server have permissions to this directory?

Yes, the user account owns the directory and has the necessary permissions. Does it matter that Enterprise is running on my machine ( Windows XP ) and the box i am trying to connect to is running Unix ?

Boy, I am not sure but it certainly seems likely. Maybe you should start another thread with that as your main question - might catch somebody's eye who has worked across os's.

I really don't know where to start here... :-(

OK - A PC .bat file published to CE which is then copied to UNIX is not going to work for many reasons. Try explaning what the objective of this exercise is, because there is probably a better way to accomplish it.

Kingfisher [CECP]

The objective is to run "ANY" program object on my unix box. It doesnt have to be a .bat file. It will eventually be a script that queries a Oracle database. I am simply trying to create a program object ( any type will do ) that i publish in CE, that will connect to Unix and run.

The problem seems to be it cannot locate the box. I have tried placing the server ip address in the working directory in the format of //<ip address/dir

and i have also tried connecting using a mapped network drive to the unix box from my pc

eg

X:/my unix dir

Can anyone make any suggestions ?

What are you trying to do besides query an Oracle db, as this is something that could be accomplished using a crystal report, yes?

Well, i am just trying to experiment with program objects as i will need to implement them at at some point. It just doesnt seem to work. I cant even get the things to run in my local machine.

In the cmc have you gone to 'objects', then 'object settings' (button on the right) then to the 'program objects' tab? You need to indicate which type of object you intend to run and what system credentials to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back