Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difficulty of Foxpro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerbouchard

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2002
US
Just out of curiosity.
Foxpro is the first language I've tried to learn. Would you guys say it's a lot harder or easier than other languages like Visual Basic.

Many thanks in advance!

What I've found, VB and VFP have a lot in common. Different syntax, but a lot of the same ideas when it comes to OOP. That itself is the keyword for me: OOP. That's the tricky concept to get used to.
Dave S.

I have actually learned Visual Basic but my work required me to use Visual Foxpro. I don't think the one is easier or harder then the other. It's the kind of application that makes it easier to use one language or the other. I have found that Foxpro is 'great' working with tables and databases. Has special functions to manipulate them easy but VB has also it's plus points. I would rather have a mix of both languages. When I make applications that uses/requires tables or databases I use Foxpro, for other applications like games or to make software for my own needs, I use VB.

after growing up in a Fortran and C world, foxpro is a snap. vb is the same. it depends on the need, foxpro is the greatest for database programming. I would not use it for anything else Attitude is Everything

I've been through at least 30 'languages' in my DP career - not even counting multiple variants of FORTRAN, COBOL, Pascal, BASIC and C. (On average that's actually less than one a year, but some years were a lot worse than others!)

Each had it's 'challenges' when it came to learning it's syntax and the IDE and support tool peculiarities. Normally each new one is built on features of one or more of the old ones, and about the only time it get's really hard is when you have to work in multiple, IDEs, OSs, and or editors at the same time.

My advice - learn one, learn another, and be flexible so when you switch jobs, or your company decides to switch platforms, you won't have panic because you haven't been there before.

Rick

I went from VFP to VB some months ago.
It didn't require much to make this step (no training in VB or something likewise).
Once you are used to 'windows programming', programming with objects, you'll find that a lot is the same.
Allthough I really miss subclassing in VB, much of the use is the same.

The beauty of VFP is still its database oriented programming and the use of OOP, sub classing etc.

HTH,
Weedz (Edward W.F. Veld)
My private project:Download the CrownBase source code !!

Think thats bad? You should have tried using Version 2.6!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back