Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difficult Data Manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbigj

Programmer
Dec 14, 2001
US
Hello,
I need to do a seeminly difficult result query from a sequentially numbered table. I'll provide an example but here's what needs to be done.
I need to split a table in half and then reorder them 1 from each half, incrementing until completely rebuilt. Here's the scenario:

Say I have a recordset of 100 records. The first half would be 1 to 50 and second half 51-100. I would need to create the following recordset
etc....

I'm sure I could do this in a very inefficient way by creating temp. multiple recordsets then manipulating into a resulting set. But I wonder does SQL have any functionality to where this could be done in a single query/ storedprocedure?

All ideas Welcome.
Thanks

I wouldn't say temp tables are inefficient.
Using cursors when you can substitute it would temptables
will far be more inefficient.

You can use the Case statement in the Order By clause. Perhaps, a query like the following will do what you want. Adjust the values in the Case statement as needed.

Select RecNo
From TblName
Order By
Case When RecNo>50
Then RecNo-50 Else RecNo End,
RecNo
Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

heh, well that was easy ;) Thank you so much, it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back