Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different Workgroup = Possible to share files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzguy777

Vendor
Sep 17, 2002
I have 1 computer on "WorkgroupA" and 3 Computers on "WorkgroupB". They are all on the same network IPs (192.168.0.1 and so on to 192.168.0.5)

I shared folders on each but Workgroup A can only see itseld and same as Workgroup B. When I try to add users on A, it will only see "Workgroup A" on locations so therefore I can only add users from Workgroup A. Same thing for Workgroup B.

I can see the Workgroups A and B on Windows Network in Explorer but when I click on either from another workgroup it says "not accessible"

Is there a work around?

Can't make them same Workgroup coz' A is used or Terminal Services to an offsite Server.

You are very close to resolving the issue.

. Synchronize the username and passwords of computer A with computers B,C,D. All the username and passwords of Computer A should show as local usernames and passords on Computers B,C, D

. Now use Share level permissions by username

. Now use NTFS permissions by username

. Use the ability of XP to store cached credentials. Say I am on Computer C, and I want to create a persistent link to Computer_A on one of its shares, Drive_C:

Start, Run, cmd
net use x: \\Computer_A\Drive_C /persistent:yes

"x" can be any drive letter you want.

How do I synchronize? Can't seem to figure this out as when I add new users on BCD it will only let me see Adding users from WorkgroupB.

Waiting for your reply.

Use the Control Panel tool User Accounts.

If you look under the Security Tab or other share permission entries, it will show only existing users.

Create them as new users on all machines:

username/passwords as new users on B,C,D
..etc..
until you have matching sets of users with passwords on all machines.

Have a problem I forgot to mention. Computers BCD login to a local domain. Computer A in only on a WORKGROUP which is WORKGROUP A.

When I go to control panel on BCD (Domain B). When I try to add users it asks for USER and DOMAIN. As this PC is a member of my domain(WORKGROUP B)

So I tried to creat users on the Win2K Server of BCD (Workgroup B) but this would only allow me to create users to this domain (DOMAIN/WORKGROUP B).

This still possible?

Sorry forgot to mention this earlier.

All PCs are Windows XP Pro.

Tried it. Only got A (Workgroup A) to view/access BCD (Domain) Shares. Made a new user on BCD not part of the domain - only to the local PC. Then made a Username and Password.

From Workgroup A, I click on the shared folder and it will ask for U/P. I then enter the U/P of the local user I created on BCD.

I cannot however get BCD to view/access shared folder on Workgroup A. When I click on the Workgroup, it wont even show the Computer name/ No prompt for user/password too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back