Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different versions of Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcnutt

Programmer
May 17, 2002
US
I have a VB app that modifies a Office 2000 Word document and it works fine on my development PC. I have installed it on several other test PCs with the following OS and Office version configurations and some of the installations fail when the Word document is accessed.

Office: Office 2000

Office: Office 97

Office: Office 2000

Office: Office XP

The app runs find until I get to the Word section so I think it has to do with a DLL or some file related to Word. I ran dependency walker on the MSWORD9.OLB which showed no additional files. Is there an older file that I should use?
Any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi,

This is mainly to sympathise with you. I have found that different versions of Word need different things written - I don't think it possible to write targetting all versions without all sorts of version dependencies.

My specific example concerns saving a file as HTML. The ActiveDocument.SaveAs function needs a FileFormat argument which is 102 in Word 97 and 8 in Word 2002.

Good luck! I think you'll need it.

Jonathan Clarke

Hi --

Glad to see I'm not alone in experiencing the joys of Word automation.
I managed to get round compatibility problems in an app for users with Office 97 / Office 2000 installed by referencing MSWORD8.OLB and using non-version specific code. I did find some difficulties with the lower levels of the object model not being correctly implemented until Office 2000 SR1 along the way, and I'm afraid I don't know how big the compatibility gap is between Office XP and 97 though.

You'll also need to keep the document being modified as a Word 97 document if that's the earliest Office version your users have (IMO).

Like JC says, Good Luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back