Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

different version of Solaris 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekwchen

MIS
Oct 3, 2002
US
Hi all

I'm about to inherit some Solaris 2.4 systems (very old one) and I cannot upgrade them. I have only use Solaris 2.6 & 2.7 before.

Does anyone knows what are the major differences between these 3 versions? (e.g. commands not supported, configurations change)

Is there any internet link that says more about this?

Would appreciate if anyone have anything to share.

Thanks.

umm ... in 2.4 i don't think CDE existed ... but almost all the major commands should stay the same ...

when you say you can't upgrade them, does that mean you're not allowed to, or you have no way of upgrading them?

hello jad

I was not allow to due to some issue with user.

What about the location of the configuration files, are they still the same?

Thanks.

in general yes.

so you can't upgrade because they're still using the/want them back?

One comment, in 2.4 100 meg ethernet defaults to half duplex, by 2.6 it defaults to full duplex, this enhances solaris's ability to be a server If the box is using 10 meg ethernet, it is not an issue, both will use half duplex.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

The /proc filesystem did not exists on 2.4 and any of the commands that manipulate this are not available pgrep, pkill and so on.

Also of course it has no 64 bit support or large file support (>2Gb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back