Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different users accessing different directories in FTP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelawrence

Programmer
Sep 19, 2001
GB
I am struggling to get different FTP logins to access different directories on my windows 2003 server. I only have 1 IP address so what I am doing is creating virtual directories under my default ftp site. Now whenever i create a new ftp site and i try to logon i go to the directory set up in the home tab of the default ftp site. I think this is because i did not set up user isolation when i should have. I've read that i can change this but it sounds like i have to create new sub directories under my ftp directory whereas i have an existing directory structure that i want to use and just give different users access to different directories. Is it possible to do this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

mike

create a virtual directory under your FTP site with the same name as the username (or vice versa) and point the virtual FTP directories to the users physical directory/folder

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I just did this yesterday and it works great.

You will probably need to give those new users "list" permission on the root if their folder is below it. However I set my main FTP account to go to a dead end folder. That keeps people from going up to other stuff and avoids the additional hassle of list permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back