Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different network drives when loging on to differnet servers. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyTech

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
KR
Currently we have 3 offices, each with their own Server(s) on the same domain connected via VPNs. We use Exchange Server 2003 in the offices and have populated Active Directory (Enterprise in main office with DC, and Standard in the regional offices) with users/computers split up into different Organizational Units. Each user maps network drives for their local server depending on what office they are based in, we specified this manualy in the user properties in AD (logon script).

We have users that travel between the offices and when they log on to their account it connects their specified network drives. This causes problems as the VPN's are not the best at times and causes the laptops/pc's to pause as a user opens My Computer for example and it checks the drives.

My question (at last!) is; is there a way for users to have the network drives mapped for whatever office/server they are in when they log in, and to disconnect any previously mapped drives (as to avoide the pausing)? Can it be done in Active Directory or Group Policy?

Could this also be done for printers (not as big an issue).

Thanks for reading...

Jay~

My Tae Kwon Do website is still up and running!!

~KeyTech

First, you'll need to setup the sites in AD Sites and Services. Then, you can configure your logon policies accordingly.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Thanks monsterjta,

ok.. So I set up the sites, but not sure what to do from there.

Exchange/AD is on our mail server, TERRA, and the Group Policy editor is on our DC DUBSRV...

Here are two screen shots of both, the first being our mail server...

AD_terra.jpg

GP_dubsrv.jpg

Sorry haven't even touched on this before so not sure what Im doing.

Thanks for the help...

Jay~

~KeyTech

Create a policy containing your logon script and link it to the corresponding Site. There will be a corresponding logon script for each Site.

Actually, you could also just create a VBScript that checks the IP of the PC and maps the network drive based on that. If the user logs in and obtains address in the 192.168.1.x range, then map drives to the server which is on that network. If the user logs in and obtains address in the 192.168.2.x range, then map drives to the server which is on that network. This way you only need one logon script and policy, and link it to the top level

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Even easier than checking the IP would be to check for the logon server and taking action based on that.

What I would do is remove the mapping from the users AD properties as that is a legacy setting for use with NT4. I would then use a single login script for all users that is able to determien the login server and map specific drives as needed.

Piece of cake. If you require assistance with the vbscript code let me know. I do recommend that you read my FAQs
faq329-5798 and faq329-5908. The latter has the code you need to get the logon server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Great Mark that is just what Im looking for...

The second FAQ is spot on... I will need to base it off IP addresses as we only have one DC...

Cheers for all the help guys...

Jay~

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back