Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different EDI Versions 4010, 3050, 2010, ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWillard

Programmer
Apr 26, 2001
US
The company that I work for is about to purchase a facility that use multiple edi versions. (4010,3050,3030,2020,2010, and 2000). I am currently only used to working with the 4010 version. Due to ERP systems integration, these maps will no longer be used. Therefore, I am tasked with evaluating the current edi documents and how they may or may not work with our existing maps.

What are the differences in EDI versions?

The biggest difference is probably how the earlier versions before 4010 handle the dates, pre Y2K, as a YYMMDD format. Otherwise it's usually a matter of conditional items and qualifiers. The relationships change from version to version.
Not a whole lot a good translator package can't handle.

HTH.

Bob

Let us remember folks that we exchange documents with "trading partners" who may not at all be flexible in upgrading to a newer version just for the sake of doing so.

You did not state what industry the acquisition is in. The automotive industry in particular mandates old versions as in 02010, etc. They decided leading up to Y2k to handle the date conversion issues in their programs and not in the mapping of EDI documents.

Trading Partner Agreements in many cases state that you will agree to exchange documents based upon a particular version.

[2thumbsup]
Upgrading to newer versions is always negotiated on a case by case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back