Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different cpu on Stack Trace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayy66

Programmer
Aug 21, 2006
US
I created a windows service on VS 2005. I successfully installed it on a different server but whenever an error is thrown the stack trace returns the location of the computer that the service was built on.

Heres what the stack trace looks like:
Code:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) 
   at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)

at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption) 
   at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path) 
   at FaxService.FaxService.CheckFaxLines(String server) in C:\Documents and Settings\jeverett\Desktop\FAXSERVICE\FaxService\FaxService.vb:line 423

Im not concerned with the error since I know why it was thrown. Its the last line that concerns me. The path "C:\Documents and Settings\jeverett\Desktop\FAXSERVICE\FaxService\FaxService.vb:line 423" does not exist on the machine that the service is installed on. Its not even on the same server.

Does anybody know why the stack trace is returning this?

debug, should I have deployed a release build?

I'm not sure on how 2k5 behaives, but I believe 2k2/2k3 build a .pdb file that acts as a translater for the debugger. So that when some piece of compiled code fails, the debugger catches the exception, looks it up in the .pdb and spits out the file/line that are associated with that piece of code.

If you do a release build, the .pdb file should not be created and you will not see anything referencing the code files in the error messages. With out the debugger running, you probably would just get a message saying "An unhandled exception has occured!"

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Thanks, for your quick responses. 2005 does create a .pdb file.

One more thing, do i have to rebuild the servive in release mode or can I simply remove the .pdb file?

Thank you for your wisdom

I >think< you can just delete the .pdb file. That would allow the debugger to spit out some error message, but not jump to code, or file/line info.

We use debug builds for our test and internal use, but switch to Release builds for anything that goes into production.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back