Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

different colours along the length of a letter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microbe

Programmer
Oct 16, 2000
AU
Hey folks,

Perhaps someone can help with a way to do this, I can't figure it.

I have a brand name with two words over-lapping. Imagine it is yesongs.

I want to make a logo that is half one colour and half another colour with the letter S being half of each colour.

Obviously it is easy to just split it vertically with the left half one colour and the right the other but I thought it would be cool if I could split the S along it's length and have each half be one colour.

Angular letters like an X or M would be easy to do, but it is the curves that make this a challenge (for me anyway).

It actually might look like crap but I would like to a)try it out and b) learn how to do this in a way that isn't painful.

Any thoughts?

Steve
- I have fun with telemarketers

Hi Microbe,
Hope I got it correctly.

- Create a new layer over your text
- Paint the letters over (roughly) or fill to color the logo as needed
- Hold down [Alt] key and click the line between the 2 layers to create clipping mask

yesongs.gif

Andrei Doubrovski
SimplePhotoshop.com

Add a new layer

Set your colors to the desired colors

Select the gradiant tool

hold the shift key

click slightly to the left of the "S" and drag (while holding the shift key) to the right of the "S".

This will create a gradiant of the two colors

set layer properties try colorize, overlay, or maybe screen

Another option is to select the portions of the text layer that are not text, switch to the new gradiant layer and delete the selection.

Thanks for the reply, but you are also missing the point of what I want to achieve which is neither a vertical nor a horizontal colour change but ALONG the length of the letter S.

Imagine you had a pen with 2 colours and drew the S you'd get the idea.

In fact I solved it by doing it using a mask, a paint brush, the eraser tool and a steady hand.

But I would still be interested in finding out if there is a way to get PS to do it.

Steve

I see. You are right ... I did missunderstand. I walked my wife thru creating that over the phone. I'll be home in about an hour and I'll see if I can come up with something that helps you.

...something like that i would do in illustrator, i can't think of a more straight forward approach that would be easier in photoshop than in illustrator...

...more steps involved inside of photoshop...

Andrew

It took me around 20 seconds to do this in P/Shop:-
Make selection of your word. Isolate the letter you want to change.
Go to SELECT/MODIFY/CONTRACT. Enter the number of pixels depending upon the size of the lettering and the thickness of the colour you want to apply. Invert the selection.
Add a new layer above. Now paint around the outside of the letter on the new layer. The colour will spill over the outside edges of the letter - don't worry about that. Now de-select the selection. Make a selection of the original letter which is on the layer below. Invert the selction and use this to punch out the shape of the outside edge of the above colour. Clean up the ends where you want the colour to start and end.
Took me much longer to type this....hope it makes sense.

Thanks for bothering to answer, but next time please just answer the question without being condascending.

I was not after a coloured section along the middle (which would have taken me about 20 seconds), but rather the letter split in half along its length.

Steve

Well I'm sorry if that reply sounded condascending, it certainly was not intended although on reading it back I can understand. I was trying to ( quickly ) answer your question without knowing the extent of your knowledge/experience of P/Shop. I simply wanted to reasure you that it wasn't too involved. Having said that, perhaps I didn't explain my solution very well since your described result was not what I got nor what I intended !
Apologies again.

I would suggest a way, but I'm afraid I might appear to be condescending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back