Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differences exporting crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGardiner

Programmer
Aug 11, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have a crystal report version 7, that is running on a customers machine. When they produce the report to a window one of the group footer figures, is wrong, however, when this 'wrong' report is exported to .rtf, the figure is correct.

Someone please help before I go mad!

Thanks in advance

George
Software Engineer
Relay Business Software.

It sounds like it's too late, George.

This is a bizarre one... Is it being rounded, or are you using an odd font, or a formula to display it?

Perhaps the Maintenance release addressed this, I can't recall that ever happening to me, except with regard to precision.

Share specifically what and how you're getting this, and what the difference is.

-k

Thanks for taking the time to reply synapsevampire.

The report could not be simplier. The VB generates a table in a local Access DB. The report itself, groups the figures and the group footer sum displayed.

When the report is displayed to a window, the first figure displayed is 318,752.56 (which is incorrect), however, when the report is exported (using the export button on the crystal window) the figure is displayed as 159,376.28 (which is correct).

As I said previously, this is on a customer site, therefore, they do not have the Crystal designer installed. But here, where we have the designer installed, it does not happen. However, the application installer installs all the required files (to the best of my knowledge).

Thanks

George.

PS. You are right, it is way to late ;-)

GGardiner,

I'm sure we had a similar problem, but it was to do with Running totals, you don't say in your comments whether the incorrect figures related to running totals but.... It's a while and off the top of my head.....We created some reports with running totals on them in Crystal 7 and distributed them. When they were run they produced inaccurate figures, I think it was something to do with the number of groups or something.

However if you ran and exported it to RTF then the figure came out correct which we did for a while I just had to tidy the lines up in Word or if you unsurpressed the details lines it was correct.

Eventually as the development team moved onto Crystal 8 they sent me an updated CRW32.exe file that had been released to fix another problem and they asked me to try it and it worked!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

TheEntertainer
[afro]

OK, here's an attempt at an ugly fix, try:

totext({@summaryformula})

CR 7 is very old, but I recall that there was a Maintenance release or some such, it might address this.

Very odd that it doubles the number, I've never seen such a thing, are you certain that there isn't another formula showing up at export time?

I'd suspect that there's something afoot...

-k

T.E. ("home phone") is probably right.

I've seen a similar behavior that occurs under special conditions but only with Running Totals.

If you can switch to a regular sum, that should fix the situation.

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

I had a similar problem with v. 8.0 with multiple groups and running totals which were incorrect in CR (as I recall), but correct when exported to Excel. This was corrected by downloading a patch, possibly the same one mentioned by TE. Not sure how that helps you with v. 7.0 though.

-LB

I need some more information from u. Are u designing the
report from the local access table vih is created and filled by VB. If this is true, The problem is data is not
commited at the time of printed or viewed. We also
faced the same problem many times. This normally happenes
when we use temporary tables and fill them at run time.
I have one solution if it worked for u. Just try to add
to commands at the starting and ending of ur processing
when u insert the data into the table. These are

Conn.beginTransaction at starting of transaction
and
Conn.commitTransaction at the time of end of ur processing.
where conn is ur connection object in VB.

I hope it should work.

All the best

Parm Virk

Thanks all for replying.

Parm, we have also experienced this problem, however, clicking the refresh button on the preview window will sort this out (which it didn't in this case). A simple sleep(1000) just before the report is displayed seems to fix the problem.

For the figures you quoted, the invalid value is twice the proper value, suggesting that something is being done twice. Though why this happens on display but not export, I've no idea. But doing it another way might be a work-round, you would miss whatever bug it is that is upsetting the calculation.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back