Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differences b/t CAT6, CAT6e and CAT6a

Status
Not open for further replies.

superikey

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
US
Hi

Would anyone care to elaborate on the subject matter for me.
I understand that CAT6 can only handle 10Gbe at 37m, and CAT6a at 100m, but what is CAT6e that I see some manufacturers offering.

Case and point example from ICC:

Thanks All

Isaac Braca
Avaya ACA - IP Office
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.

ICCS, Your Premier IT & Telecom Partner, is a New York City Based Avaya SMB Expert Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

Visit and Post on my Blog:

I noticed that too in the ICC ad. I should call ICC engineering and see how they answer that. They only offer the CAT 6A with a shield, not the 6E.

ICC eng. is usually very good about being available and answering questions.

....JIM....

Simple answer is that Cat6, as you said is the standard that will do 10gbe to 37m (or there abouts), and Cat6A is the standard for cable to do 10gbe at 100m. Cat6(e,E,+,anything else) is marketing ploy. There are differing qualities of both 6 and 6A that will be different amounts above the minimum standard, but there is no official designation for them.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back