Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

difference of all kinds of tape drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

yixiong

Programmer
Aug 4, 2003
US
Hi, there,

I am considering buying a tape drive. What's the difference 0f all kinds of tape drive? DLT, AIT, DAT.

The hard disk is 120G. I maybe only need to backup 40G. what speed should I choose?

One more question, where can I find some introductory articles about tape drive? I tried to search it at yahoo,
but could not find anything useful.

Thanks.

Yi

I just got a sony AIT 35/90GB drive and its great, I would highly recommend an AIT drive.

If you have a fair amount of compressible files (not files that are already compressed like mpeg, mp3, jpg) then it should have no problem fitting 40GB on a 35GB cartridge which they rate at 90GB with the hardware compression, but if all you put on it is compresed files like mpeg, mp3 you wont get anywhere near 90GB, youlll get around 35GB which is the real capacity of the tape.

You can also get a 50/100/260/500/1300GB model but they are much more expensive.

Also note that tape drives dont have a drive letter so you cant use them as a normal drive, they only work from backup software, there is/was a programmed called 1Safe that gave drive letter access which I used on my old drive to watch movies right off the tape, but it seems they have gone bankrupt, and it was the only software that did this.

You can take a look at Sony's presales website:

This is pretty helpful! Also, make yourself aware of OEM products. When you purchase OEM products, they may look and seem like the original product but you will not get the full warranty capabilities of a VAPD (Value Added Product Division) model.

I would recommend AIT, or Sony has a SuperAIT out now!

"Astra non mentiuntur"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back