Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

difference betwwen: switches - routers - hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KryptoS

Programmer
Feb 7, 2001
BE
Hey there,

can someone tell me what the difference is between: switches, routers, hubs and bridges???

thank you

The One And Only KryptoS

well, a router is connecting a network to shared resources such as internet, a printer, etc. A hub is connecting two computers together and generally it's the building block of a typical network. Usually a hub will be connecting a network of computers to a router with internet access or to another network via another hub or switch. Switch is like a hub but it is often used to connect two or more hubs or even in place of a hub. Its advantage is that it transfers data faster and better. For example a hub will split the bandwidth of internet access evenly where as a switch will allow two computers to have the same bandwidth. I am not sure about a bridge but I think is the connection (expansion) between two networks. I personally have a router for internet and a switch that hooks up my pcs. Of course nowadays it is not uncommon to find a router with a build in switch. If you are serious about setting up your own network, buy a router with a build in switch.

----------gm

I think a bridge is a generic term for hubs and switches.

A repeater receives a packet of data and then reproduces it, like an amplifier. A bridge receives a packet and then retransmits it on only the port where the destination is known to be (mac address). A hub is a multiport repeater.
A switch is a multiport Bridge. A router receives and transmits packets at a higher level of the OSI model and works on IP ,IPX , or protocols not on Mac adresses.

A router is commonly reffered to as Layer 3 switch, a switch is commonly reffered to as a layer 2 switch, a bridge can be a PC, Router, etc. Considering also the bandwidth splitting or conservation parameter. See also previous replys.
But with the advent of new technologies, the differences are becomming less obvious.

the easyes way to think about it is
a hub is the most basic... when it recives a signal it simply repeats it to all other ports.
a switch recives a signal and looks for where it goes... i decides which port to repeat it to by searching a directry of MAC addresses
a Router works as a border between networks or the internet. it recives a signal and looks at the IP address [or other protocal that may be in use] and decides if it should send it to the other network
routers also work for translators between networks not all subnets can not "talk" to eachother without a translator.

im not going to go into ISO levels or such cuz frankly i forgot most of them

A switch is commonly on Layer 2 of the OSI Model

For information on the classifications of network devices please visit the following links:

*RECOMMENDED*

Others of Similar Interest:

Hope this Helps, Please RATE my post.

Sincerely,

Brian Velkavrh ___________________________________________________

bpvlogo.gif

mysig_small1.gif

Brian Velkavrh
Sr. Consultant - BPV Webdesigns
Network+ Certified Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.