Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Windows XP home and PRO editions.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankarsr

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
US
Hi All,

I planned to buy a computer. but I am not able to decide whether to purchase Windows XP home or Professional. I wanted to run/learn J2EE, Oracle , .NET, ASP, WEBLOGIC Server, TOMCAT Server. So please advice me which one is the better operating system.

Please try to write what is the difference between XP home and XP professional in this regard. becauase so many people are telling that professional is good just like that. but I wanted to know exactly the difference and how that difference matters to run above softwares.

I will be so happy to see the answer. here lot of my friends also are having the same doubt.

Thank you in-advance,
Sankar.

Have Great 'n' Wonderful Day ...

Thanks & Regards,
Sankar.

The difference is not as big as some people will want you to believe. XP Home Edition does not provide for being added to a domain, as administered by a WinNTserver, Win2Kserver, Win2K3server respectively. This means administration of the PC is done locally, not centrally or distributed.

It will work on a (business-)network though, and can even have the same workgroup name as a domain that is in the network. It will run all kinds of software. It does not bar the use of the software and tools you have described, as far as I can tell.

If you can avoid paying 3 times too much for Pro, by using Home Edition, I would.

Hi thank you very much for ur detailed and technical reply.

I am having one more doubt. Please clarify this also.

Can I run .NET on this Windows XP Home edition?

I think IIS server is needed on this LAPTOP to run this. but can we install this server on windows XP Home? Is there any chance to run .NET on Windows XP Home operating system.

Thank you.

Have Great 'n' Wonderful Day ...

Thanks & Regards,
Sankar.

That depends, what exactly do you refer to if you mention .NET?
But, in general, XP Home is never a good choice for any server-like operations.

"In some respects the Home Edition has fewer capabilities than Windows 98/Me and one must upgrade to the Pro version (and pay noticeably more) to get them. They include:

Login into a Windows domain server (Windows NT, 2000 Server) on a local area network.
Personal Web Server. The Pro version has Microsoft's Internet Information Server which has a much more sophisticated web server than the Personal Web Server plus ftp and gopher servers. The IIS web server can run on the Internet."

XP Home and Professional Difference
thread779-363331

Which Edition Is Right for You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back