Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between VNC and MS Remote Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowcold

Programmer
Dec 15, 2004
US
Basic question but if someone could explain the difference? that would be grand.

VNC isn't encrypted. Someone can see you password and login info as well as whatever you are doing. VNC can be used on a number of OSs. You can share the desktop (ie someone else can watch you do stuff.) I believe UltraVNC will allow you to tunnel file transfers over the link.

RDP is encrypted but only works on Windows boxes. It doesn't have the file transfer and won't allow you to share the desktop. You have to kick the other person off and then you get control.

Other than that they are basically the same.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP

Supergrrover, you are perfectly correct except that you can do file sharing in RDP (sort of). You can set options in the RDP connection window to enable local drives to be connected to remote desktops (just like printers are by default). From there, you can access your drives through my computer. It actually works pretty well :eek:)

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....

Actually you can also RDP from a MAC machine to a Windows box. They make a RDP client on Macs.

Anyone have experience good or bad with marklores suggestion. Looks good.

*BUMP*

Just wanted to know if anyone has tryed this program ?

Is it as good as it claims?

Like cellotape, im on a roll and take drugs not candy from strangers...

I tried it out and it's pretty slow compared to UltraVNC with it's video driver installed.

I would give Bozteck VNC Scan a try. It does both RDP and VNC so you get the best of both worlds. It's at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back