Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between the Netgear WG511T and WG511TGE Wireless PC Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougsterMG

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
GB

I am going to build a wireless network (108.11g 108mbps), and I'll be buying these components:

D-Link DSL-300G+ Ethernet ADSL Modem

Netgear WGT624 Wireless Firewall Router

Netgear WG311T Wireless PCI Card

Netgear WG511T (or WG511TGE) Wireless PC Card

I was wondering whether to get the Netgear WG511T or the WG511TGE Wireless PC Card. Can anyone tell me what the difference between the 2 network cards is?

Come on! Someone out there must be able to help me.

The whole issue of 108 mbs under 802.11g is under review. It is very country dependent.

The original "Turbo" G is unlikely to survive, as it poached too heavily on the defined 802.11 channel standards, and completely screwed legacy 802.11b and 802.11b conforming adapters.

Personally, if you need to make a purchase decision now, base it on the standard 802.11g and not any Turbo feature.

The difference between WG511T (or WG511TGE) is whether it can be legally sold in many countries. The TGE is designed to hopefully get EU approval, as the WG511T cannot any longer, not in the EU or Canada.

My personal opinion is that is should be banned in all countries. A serious firmware and a serious software upgrade are necessary to make these devices welcome members in the wireless community.

The way in which "Turbo" 108 mbs. mode was achieved is an affront to all of us who have promoted standards based 802.11 for many years. The router and cards are a serious problem for other nearby 802.11 users of b or g.

In the alternative:

I have read that article, but I still think I'll go for the 108mpbs equipment I have been looking at. I will go for GE version of the card as I live in England and it's better to be safe than sorry.

My only issue with getting a 108mbps wireless-network for my house is that I have a wireless phone and as 108mbps is known for interference as it uses 2 channels to achieve the speed it runs at I am worried that it will intefere with my phone signal.

And another thing; if I at a later date buy a 54mbps wireless-to-Ethernet bridge so I can play my Playstation 2 online will this bridge slow down the rest of the network or have conflicts with the 108mbps speed?

Thanks

I also wanted to know what the difference between the WG511T & WG511TGE cards was.

I asked Netgear support this question, first by email, then by phone when I didn't get a response that quickly via email, at least initially.

When I called their telephone support line, I was told that WG511TGE did not exist as a product, only WG511T. I tried to explain that various websites mentioned one or the other or both, but the answer was repeated. I gave up at that point.

However, I eventually did get a bite on the question I had emailed in, and after I provided some websites showing the two product/manufacture codes, I got a satisfactory response. I quote:

"There is no difference between WG511T & WG511TGE. GE it means German Edition."

So, there you have it. As to why there is a specific need for the different product/manufacturer code, your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks man.

I have had quite a few problems with manufacturer products codes.

D-Link's wireless 108Mbps router, DI-624 is more commonly known as DI-624s (s for super-g) and the DI-624 is on a lot of sites actually a DI-624+ (D-Link's wireless 54Mbps router).

Many of D-Link's other wireless products are the same. DWL-G650 can be DWL-G650s or DWL-650s, and DWL-G650 can be a DWL-G650+. Same with DWL-G520.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back