Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between sum of a group 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinosaidp

Programmer
Mar 5, 2007
US
Hello!

I'd like to get the difference between summaries of a group something like this;

group1_total = 100 <--- 1st summary
group1_total = 200 <--- 2nd summary

Using the 2 summaries of the above group I'd like to display my output in the report footer as
Net = 100 which is a result of 2nd summary - 1st summary.
I'm using Crystal 11 and SQL 2000.

Thanks.

LBass, in the beginning of this post you helped another user by suggesting the formula below. My scenario appears to be exactly as his was. I was having trouble determining what value belonged in "Instance1" and "Instance2".

Is this off track from what I need?

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar A;
numbervar B;

if {table.group} = "Instance1" then
A := sum({table.amt},{table.group};
if {table.group} = "Instance2" then
B := sum({table.amt},{table.group};

Then in the report footer use this:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar A;
numbervar B;
B - A

Please show me the formulas you used!!! My solution would have returned 4, so you have implemented it incorrectly. If you won't show the actual formulas, I cannot help.

-LB

Here's yours:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr;
numbervar prev := curr;
curr := distinctcount ({inmain.inci_id},{inmain.calltime},"Monthly");
if onfirstrecord or
{inmain.nature} <> previous({inmain.nature}) then
curr else 0; //not sure whether you want this to be 0 or current value
curr - prev

Okay, I know what the problem is. My formula is set up to show a running difference between the groups--and it is intented to be placed in the group #2 section, not in the Group #1 section. You would need to do it this way if there could be more than two months in a group #1. So please clarify if there are ever more than two months.

Also, if you want the diff to be 0 on the first group #2 instances, then your formula should be:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr;
if onfirstrecord or
[red]0[/red] else
curr - prev

-LB

Thank you for the ending correction.

As for more than two months? The potential is there for it sometime in the future. But for simplicity I would accept a solution that will just do the 1 vs 1 comparison and tackle the other later.

Okay, then you need two formulas:

//{@accum} for the Group #2 section:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr;

//{@displdiff} for the Group #1 footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr;
numbervar prev;
curr-prev

-LB

Okay, this is 90% on!!! It's looking really good. However, and you are going to want to strangle me I'm sure, an anomaly has been presented.

There will always be a comparison between two months, but sometimes for a given nature there was no reported event in the date range specified. So, I end up with a value for say just January. This creates an incorrect comparison on the count. Ideas? Otherwise this is exactly what I need.

Okay, change this formula:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr;
numbervar prev;
if groupnumber = 1 or
0 else
curr-prev

-LB

That helped get rid of the outrageous numbers for the aforementioned case. What do I do if I still need to show the value for that though? If December had 1 call and January had 0 the formula will return a 0 when I'd like it to say -1. Is there a way to force the group to display the value even if it is null? Then it wouldn't matter if it were 0 since the calculation would still take place.

You cannot force a group to occur when there are no corresponding records. You could force the display formula to show a plus or minus value if there is only one group, I guess--do you want to do this?

-LB

Yes, if you'd be so kind...Forcing the compared integer with only one group would be perfect. So comparing 0 + 1 would show 1 or 1 + 0 would show -1

First create a formula {@month}:

date(year({inmain.calltime}),month({inmain.calltime}),1)

Then also create a reset formula for the Group #1 header:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr := 0;
numbervar prev := 0;

Then change {@accum} to:
//{@accum} for the Group #2 section:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr;
if distinctcount({@month}, inmain.nature}) = 1 then
(
if maximum({@month},{inmain.nature}) = date(year(minimum({?daterange})), month(minimum({?daterange})), 1) then
prev := distinctcount ({inmain.inci_id},{inmain.calltime},"Monthly") else
if maximum({@month},{inmain.nature}) = date(year(maximum({?daterange})), month(maximum({?daterange})), 1) then
curr := distinctcount ({inmain.inci_id},{inmain.calltime},"Monthly")
) else

And change this formula to:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar curr;
numbervar prev;
curr-prev

-LB

This is absolutely phenomenal!!! You put in so much work for this! Thank you very much. This was obviously above my skill grade and I owe you a big steak if you ever come to Ft. Worth, TX!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back