Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between SL100 and Option xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIMBARQ

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
US
What is the difference between the SL100 and the Option Series Switches? If there are large differences, you don't have to list them. I'm trying to figure out if I can do the SL100 simply because I can program the Option 11, 61, 81.

Kim Joseph
Franklinton, NC

Very different. The SL100 (now CS 2100) is based upon the carrier DMS (now CS 2000) platform.

They are completely different platforms, knowing 1 will not be good enough for the other without additional training or experience.

The DMS world has menus where the Meridian does not. Hardware is 100% different also. They don't use line cards like we do, they have a shelf with 1 card per line.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Thanks for the info.

Kim

Kim Joseph
Franklinton, NC

They do use line cards but he is correct in that the setup is completely different. You can't just jump in and start typeing commands. sub programs for everything you do on the switch.

I wish they were the same. We'd all be making 10X's what we make now.

I like the meridian line much better. Worked in a DMS500 NOC center and hated it, tied to a cubicle all day lol.

I know they are short handed in that world, at the time, my interview consisted of being able to login in and pull the managers phone up on the screen, once I did that I was hired lol.

JohnThePhoneGuy

I've worked both sides also, I left the SL100 about a year ago for the 81c, but I prefer the SL100 myself.

Not at one of the Military bases is it???
Being retired Military, I may be interested.

Military is the only place I have seen the SL100 installed

I can't find the job now. It was on Monster and I think the company was MiSource, which sounds like a staffing agency, but I'm not sure. The job was definately in NC, but I'm not sure if it was Raleigh, or Charlotte.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If i happen upon it again, i will update this thread.

Kim Joseph
Franklinton, NC

No problem, it is M1source or something like that, I talked to them about the job in Charlotte.
I don't think the person I talked to knew what a Meridian anything is.

I learned the SL 100 through the air force but I was in the navy, we had one at Puerto Rico where I was stationed at the time.

JohnThePhoneGuy

I know at least one large non-military company in STL with an SL-100.

Ah more military men... I love it.
I retired from the Air Force back in '99.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back