Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between nvidia m64 and ge force2 mx400 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooahhdoo

ISP
May 15, 2001
GB
Not long ago now I built a new machine with mostly new parts but I took my old nvidia tnt2 m64 from my old machine and put it in the new one. I have always thought that it let the system down so went out and bought an inno3d ge force 2 mx400 with 64 mb of Ram. Before I swapped them, I ran benchmark 2000 and noted the score. I swapped out the cards, installed all the drivers with no problems whatsoever and ran it again. Well, bu**er me, if I didnt get a lower score on benchmark 2000. I was understood by the supplier that this was a by far superior card than my m64. Have I been duped? Or is benchmark 2000 not a very accurate test for it?
I did notice tho that I was up 10 FPS in Unreal Tournament.

Thanks in advance for all input.

You probably wanna try 2001 because it tests for some of the newer features of cards that weren't often available with previous cards so were not tested for. You should notice a diffrerence then. If you've got the latest 4-in-1 Drivers for the Via chipset if that's the motherboard chipset, and that'll make a load of difference, particularly with some of the GeForce's (mainly the MX 32meg). You've probably already done so, but just check in the bios to make sure you've got everything set up for the graphics card nicely.

There's loads of things out there that give little tips on it. You can get 3D Mark 2001 (what I use and it's really good) from . The newer graphics cards can outperform at higher resolutions, which is also tested for.

Hope that helpful! :)

Cheers xscape, I gave that a go with the new 4-in-1 drivers and my score on 3dMark 2001 went up by about 800!!!

Absolutely smashing!!! Cheers xscape but I think I am still way short of the mark.

I did as you advised and downloaded 3dmark2001. Ran the test and got a magnificent score of 656 (no digits missing just 656). BTW I have an amd 1.2 Ghz 512mb PC133 CAS2 ram twin 40 gig ata100 disks. Installed the latest via drivers ( I really did think I had already installed them but maybe not) ran the standard benchmark again and got 2162. Then I installed the detonator drivers and ran the standard benchmark again and got a score of 2244. Is that about right for my system? Reading a few other scores I should be getting at least double the score I have. You tripled my score with your last posting so just double it this time and I will be happy! ;-)

Well I'm glad it helped. That's an impressive leap. Make sure that the other bechmarks were run on 3DMark 2001 because the score you get on 2000 is about double. Personally, I get about 1900-1950 when I run it, and I've got a 1Ghz, Creative GeForce 2MX (32Mb DDR). That's nearly standard, and I've tweeked the RAM up to 314Mhz using Creative's Tweek Center (came with the card) and it upped the score a bit but only just broke throught the 2000 mark. I was very happy with that though. I think your score is pretty good for the system. There's a few tweek utils out there.

RivaTuner is supposed to be good as it makes use of hidden registry settings in the Denonator drivers. You can get it from here: Theres also: NVMAX and GTU. RivaTuner seems to be the best. If you really want to get every last ounze of speed out of the card then these are worth a try. However, I would be happy with the score you got. When 3DMark 2002 comes out you'll probably find that your card does a good job, because at the moment 64meg cards are relativly new and probably aren't tested to their maximum. Anyway, I'm glad you've got a good score now, and unless you're really obsessed with benchmark scores you should feel content with the fact your system is running to it's potential. Well done! :)

I have never been "one" for benchmark scores. Just thought it would be nice to see some comparison between the two cards. I have just run UT again after the suggestions you have made and I get 85 fps average so as you can imagine, I am extremely pleased :)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back