Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Locally significant and Global DLCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulty

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
US
I've been struggling with the difference between locally significant DLCIs and global DLCIs for some time, partly becase I've read conflicting things from different sources. Now, my understanding is that DLCIs are essencially alwasy locally significant. The best analogy I've found is the speed dial numbers on phones, Bob may use speed dial 3 to reach Steve, while Sandy might use speed dial 2 on her phone to reach Steve. My understanding is that all global DLCIs do is create a global construct over this, i.e. now EVERYONE who wants to reach steve will use speed dial number 5. I've read in a Cisco book that with global, the DLCI in the frame is changed before it reaches the other end of the PVC, but this is done anyway isn't it? i.e. in local addressing if the recipient sees the PVC as DLCI 5, that is the DLCI the frame will get when it is sent down the access link to the DTE. I've also read things about "LMI extended specification" for global addressing, but I don't see what really needs to be changed in the technology or switches between local and global DLCI addressing. It's always local, and global is just a way to go about making it a little easier for humans to understand. If there is an authortative web page on this subject please let me know, or explain to me where my thinking is wrong. Thanks.

Thanks for the link, but it only sends me to the forum front page. Could you perhaps post the text or update the link? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back