Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Kofax and SCSI Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocheace

Vendor
Oct 31, 2002
US
Everyone,

What is the difference between a Kofax Card and a SCSI Card. Up until recently I thought Kofax was a totally different technology. Know I'm seeing that there are Kofax SCSI Cards. Could someone please clarify this for me.

Here's why I'm inqiring about this. I have a KODAK Scanner that requires a SCSI Interface. And yet a facility of ours in another city keeps insisting that they use a Kofax card with this scanner. It seems impossible to me. Please enlighten me.

Say 'ello..... to my little friend!

Kofax is a company that has specialized in document imaging for a while. What your other office is using is most likely something from their "Adrenaline" line. Here's the link:

Although Kofax offers a proprietary interface, they do support SCSI and Kofax cards that can be used with a variety of 3rd party scanners. We've used Kofax cards for Fujitsu and Bell+Howell scanners for years.

If you're looking for a simple SCSI interface, Kofax is generally more cost prohibitive than a comperable Adaptec card. On the plus side, the Kofax card is a workhorse. I've been working with them for 10 years and have never seen one go bad yet.

Hope this helps.

Okay. So Kofax does have a proprietary interface. That clarifies a lot for me. Are you in the Document Management Business?

One of the services provided by my company is that of document imaging. We are focused toward governments (town, county, state). More specifically, official records (real estate, wills, court case management, powers of attorney, etc...).

Cool...

I have another questions thought... The Kofax card that you used withe the Bell+Howell scanner was a proprietary Kofax Card and not a SCSI Correct?

We haven't used the B+H scanner in years. It was the big 6338A (we called it The Iron Horse) that had separate connections for the front of the page and the back. Each side connected to a dedicated Kofax board (KF-9250 with a video interface) installed in the workstation.

It doesn't technically have a "proprietary" connection. It's actually a video connection, but Kofax is one of the few controller companies that cater to video-based scanners, so it sometimes seems like it's proprietary.

Kofax does have an online configuration utility if you would like to see if they have something you could use. You can find it here:

Hope this helps.

Also, the Kofax card will allow you to temp. store scanned images on the card itself. Our cards can store a max. of 6 images. Makes scanning a bit faster. We use Ascent Capture as our scanning and capture solution. The kofax card also has custom image controls for the scanner. And yes, they are work horses. Far more problems with the scanners than with the interface cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back