Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

difference between connected and unconnected lookups

Status
Not open for further replies.

vspk

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
GB
Hi,
can any one elaborate more on connected and unconnected look ups.
i know that connected can be used in the pipe line and unconnected lookups can be called from an expression and returns a value .
other than these are there any major differences...
pls do let me know.

thanks
vspk

This is covered extensively in INFA's excellent manuals which you own if you are using Powermart/Powercenter.

The biggest difference I guess is that an unconnected lookup can only return one port, the connected one multiple ports.

If no match is found for the lookup condition the connected one can return default value for all ports, where the unconnected one returns 'null'

My suggestion would be to stick to unconnected ones; connected ones tend to mess up mappings, making them harder to 'read'

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi Blom,

How about the performance? If I want to return only one column from the lookup? Which lookup will return the value faster?

Rgds,
jlito

If you want to return only one column then go for Unconnected Lookup.

Sri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back