Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between AMD processors 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming they're both 333 FSB (Barton) then the difference is that one is an OEM product (i.e. just the raw processor in a little box or plastic tray) and the other is a 'Retail Box' in nice packaging with a suitable heatsink/fan combo for running at normal speeds and nice fold out instruction booklet.

they are the same proccessor's the only difference is that one is a pacage that comes with a fan heatsink and a warrenty thats why the pricess are not that diferent. the other one is just the cpu.

2CYP - Retail

2CYL - OEM

The retail apparently comes with a 3-year warranty, while the OEM warranty is not listed. Most OEM come with a standard 90-day, while others are up to a year. If you decide to go OEM, verify it with the vendor.

But yes, that was the only difference I saw.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

MrAsparagus
********And most importantly*******
Both 333fsb Variants, which is a shame if you have a 400fsb motherboard.

400fsb versions have "E" on the end not "D"
My opinion is to buy OEM, then you can purchase a REAL! heatsink/fan unit from swiftech or thermalright.

See this AMD CPU chart.

Martin

Start by questioning and soon you will be anwering.
So please take but remember to return and give when you can.

Thanks! Thats really helped. Have a star each.

- Mr Asparagus

Good question.

Generally, it's a way to say thanks coming from anyone that finds your answer helpful. Most of all, it's there to flag the thread to help others searching through the forums. Threads with stars next to them typically get searched first, with the assumption that an answer to the thread title exists.

Now, in this situation I'm grateful for the star. However, others looking through the forum may dive into this thread hoping to gather some "valuable" information on AMD processors, seeing that there are 4 stars awarded. But upon entering and reading the thread, they may wind up disappointed. Therefore, I like to encourage the use of stars only when a direct and "unrepetitive" solution is made.

But then again, there's no wrong way. That's just my 2¢

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

MrAsparagus
I just checked on your other post and the motherboard you have chosen only supports upto 333front side bus CPU's
SO the CPU and memory you have chosen are all fine with this mainboard choice (don't order the 400fsb XP3.0+ CPU) stick with the one indicated.
Martin

Start by questioning and soon you will be anwering.
So please take but remember to return and give when you can.

I recently purchased a Retail AMD 2800 and it came with a nice quiet running Heat Sink. It also had the Thermal Paste and not the Thermal Pad. I prefer the Retail Processor myself. It does have a 3 year warranty in the USA. OEM warranty usually is 15-30 days from most retailers and maybe 12 months from the manufacturer.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I think the only reason you'd want a heatsink/fan combo DIFFERENT from the stock one is if you are building a custom PC with clear case and want something flashy/prettier or if you're going to overclock.

I actually get pretty tired of people telling others that standard heatsinks are junk. They do the job they are required to do with no frills. Running an AMD at 55-60C is fine, it won't break at this temp and will probably run lower than that anyway if fitted correctly (EVEN if you use the standard heat transfer pad - *shock* NOT Artic Silver I hear you cry!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back