Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Admin and admin group in login?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metteke

Technical User
Sep 16, 2001
BE
Hello there,

I have a laptop with win2k pro installed from the company and I usually log on in a domain. At home I wanted to switch to the @home network. SO I did.

But now I can't access my laptop anymore!
I found some explanations but they allways say that the admin can access the machine and fix it, but I'm in the admin group.
I hope that the domain admin on the office can fix it without reinstalling windows...

Many thx,

Maarten

The Built in Admin account is the default Administarator (Local). Any one in the (Local) Administartors group are also given the same privlages. Now if you could log on at work but not here I would think you have no LOCAL accunt set up. When a System is part of the network, you can add users in 1 of 2 ways. Local or Domain. Most of the time you want to create an account that not only can log onto the domain but have privlages to log on locally. It sounds as if your account on ly has domain logon. You may need to ask a domain admin to add the local account to your laptop. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Isit a difference to know that I was able to log in when the laptop was'nt connected to the network, but still with the domain choosen in the logon window.

Windows 2000 remembers the domain. Even though you are not connected to the network, it still lets you log on as if you were logging onto your domain. My recommendation, create an administrator account to log on locally, then configure your computer for the @Home service. This way you can log on to the pc depending where you are at, work or home. Hope this helps!

Actually if you do not have a local account, just a domain account you will not be able to log on when not connected to the domain. You need to have local rights for your laptop. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I am assuming that both your company and Comcast/@home use DHCP to assign the TCPIP address so atleast there is no worry about mask and gateway. The computer name will be different, DNS servers will be different. I am not certain how easy it will be to switch the laptop from network to network. I expect you will need to reboot the computer after switching from one network to another after you modify the above.

Am I looking at something wrong? NT and Win2K expect one constant network.

Parke

Parke is correct about the computer name, you have to change it to log on to the @home network. Also, you do need a local log in on your laptop. Where I work, once you log on to the domain with your password, a new 'windows' password comes up, I always default mine to no password, perhaps you;ve done the same, try logging on with no password, and if that doesn't work, change your login name to "Administrator" also with no password. If you can't get on with either of those, contact whoever set up your computer and get the login from them.

2000 is really really weird about local accounts....

Make sure you have a local account on that computer.

The company administrator did had a local account and fixed it in 2 seconds. Now I made a local account under the same name. When I have the driver for the 3com mini pci combo ethernet/modem ok, I'll test it. I let you guys know how this story ends.

Maarten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back