Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between a 'Multilayer Switch" and a "Route Switch Processo&

Status
Not open for further replies.

aballant

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
US
Hi,

What is the difference between a Multilayer Switch, e.g. 3550, and Route Switch Processor e.g. 5000,5500, 6000, 6500,

cheers,
Andrew

The Route Switch Module for the larger modular switches make those switches Multilayer switches (ie, being able to do more than just Layer 2 functions, including routing and packet filtering). For the 3550 and 3750 series switches they alredady have the hardware builtin since there are no places to add a routing module.

Burke

Rbirke is right, though somewhat confusing at first reading his post. The 3550 switches are smaller (non-modular) versions of the multi-layer switches. The 3550 and 3750 series were designed to replace or phase out the 4000,5000,5500 series of switches. Cisco has newer models with better performance features. They are trying to create model lines that allow for affordable modularity and high-performance in compact devices.

3550 isn't meant to phase out the 4xxx, and 5xxx sereis.. The newer 4500's do that. 3550's phase out the older 3500 XLs. 2950's replace 2900XLs

BuckWeet

Did that answer your question, or do you want to know what a Multilayer Switch does versus a Router?

Just checking.

I know what I know and that's all I know.

Hi,

Yep it does, so I believe the difference is the RSP's (5000,5500,6000,6500) are large modular routers and the MLS (3550) is a single entity which can perform the same L3 functions,

Many thx,

cheers,
Andrew

RSM's are basically router on a stick, MLS have it all built into the ASICs of the switches...

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back