Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between 400s & 50s 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightprey

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2006
US
My Company sales team, in a rush to sell new nortel phone systems, sent me to installers class at Global Knowledge in TX. The problem is that they sent me to the wrong class.

They enrolled me in the BCM 3.7 class for the 200s & 400's. a day into the class, I was informed that my company had just sold 4 BCM 50's. The global knowledge folks gave me a DOCs disk for the 50.. But I am now certifide on the 400s not the 50s.

If I passed the one class, will I encounter alot of problems installing a BCM 50?

The interfaces are different (Element Manager vs. Web Browser) but the concepts are the same thing. Once you get experianced or comfortable with one, you should have no problem adapting to the other.

IMHO ... The BCM 50 is far superior and more intuitive.
Read through the Docs and you shouldn't have a problem.

Nortel offers CBT (computer based training) for the 50 which isn't too bad if you really want some training. But, since you're already familiar with the concepts, you should get by just reading the docs.

SD

IMO< the BCM50 is easier to configure than the 400 because all the system resources are preset for you. Although there is still much configuration to do, you will learn the Element Manager interface easy enough...also at some point this year, Nortel will be uniting the two O/S (no more unified manager) under Linux and keeping the EM interface.
That will be so nice! The documentation for the BCM50 is also plentiful. I would not worry terribly about it.
(I also went to BCM200/400 training and did not go to 50 training).

I have a couple questions reguarding the call log feature on the IP 2004 set. I turned on the call log and everything works fine but I see there are some other options like the copy and dial feature that pop up on the softkeys. I'm not sure what the copy should do but when pressed the display reads NOT IN SERVICE? and the dial attempts to dial out but it seems like it only out pulse 7 digits. I'm in an area where there is 10 digit dialing please advise how to fix...thks

norstarboy Don't add a new question completly unrelated to the original question. Post a new Thread with your Qusetion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back