Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

smythe

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
I need a unix like "diff" for use with Windows XP. I need to run this on the command line and send the output to standard out.

Does anyone know where I can get an XP port of diff?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Have you take a look at cygwin ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thanks, that is useful. I actually ended up using this
which is basically the same thing you recommended I think but does not require an emulator.

Thanks again.

Well I got the unix diff working no XP, but it doesn't do everything I need. Does anyone know of a command line interface that creates output similar to Microsoft's windiff.exe?

Windiff gives me what I need, but I need to pipe the output to standard output... how can I accomplish this?

And what about the legacy FC command ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Where can I get the legacy FC program? It does not appear to be included with the cygwin utilities.

Thanks

Open a console windows and type fc /?.
This is a microsoft command.
Otherwise, if you have downloaded some unix-like utils, you may take a look at comm.

Hope This Help, PH.

Well...

I finally though of trying to run windiff from the command prompt... I typed windiff -h and a whole new help box appeared displaying options for a command line interface which is exactly what I needed to accomplish this. The frustrating part about this is that there is no mention of any of these command line options within help->contents or help->about.

I really do appreciate your help though, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back