Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diff. between USB and PS/2 mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a Logitech optical mouse and its a usb mouse, but it has a usb to PS/2 adapter, and they say the PS/2 socket will give it 200hz, whats the difference between the two? does one give more precision? or does USB give more power or something?

I have a couple of computers with the same optical mouse. One is plugged in the USB port and the other using PS/2 port. I do not see a difference. Seems you can go either way unless you have more USB devices than you do USB ports.

There is no functional difference between the ps/2 and usb option on your mouse. They simply include the adapter if your computer doesn't have usb ports, or the operating system does not support usb (such as Windows NT 4). This allows the company to affordably allow its product to be used by everyone. The 200hz it is refering to is probably the frequency of the optical mouse. USB is faster/ new than PS/2, which means if you use the USB funcion of the mouse, you will have better response from the mouse. I doubt you, or anybody would be able to tell the difference, however when doing extreme graphics work, and some hard core gamers, the need for the "purest" input possible requires that usb be used. Put simply is the difference between a hair width, and half a hair width.

Yeah, you won't notice a difference. Like smileybry mentioned, the adapter is really meant for those who do not have ps/2 ports such as some newer laptops...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back