Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DID Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpetilli

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
We have a remote office where we just have internet vpn back to our main dc's and there was no voice infra installed in order to save costs. However, there is the requirement to provide local e.164 numbers for the folks. What's the best way to go about that? Our usual design is to install a GW/LSP and a local carrier circuit.

SBC at the main site with SIP trunks to the carrier. You can have DID's from every state.

Do you have an SBC with SIP trunks to your carrier?
How many numbers are needed at the remote office?
What is your E911 solution for the remote office?

I don't have that currently in place. It's on the roadmap, but for the immediate term I was hoping to be able to order a block of numbers and have them re-directed to other DID's that are tied into the system.

Some carriers will allow you to buy a block and remote call forward them to other DID's that you have. Depending on the amount of traffic and if you need them multi threaded (more than one call can be redirected at a time) this can get somewhat expensive. It also doesn't lend itself very well to any e911 compliance. You are probably best off using your usual design in a case like this.

I was hoping to find a carrier that allows quick purchase of a block of phone numbers and via some portal I can just redirect to whatever I want.

Hi wpetilli's,

If you just need a phone at the remote office desk, this can be achieved without the need for additional LSP and GW. The network need to accommodate for that though. You can create a location and a network region for the remote office.

You will need 1 main Site and a DR site for it to work.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back