Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Did Ms-project 2003 offers a timing scheduling method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yushi53

Programmer
Sep 13, 2005
CA
Hello all,

I was very suprise to see that when we create a task in ms-project, we can set the start date, the finish date or the duration of the task.

my question: Can we set a task like start the 13 september 2005 at 2H15 PM to 5H00 PM. I want to specify when exactly at what hour and minute the task start. Can we do that with ms-project 2003???

Thanks if you know the answer!

Yushi53

I'm not sure why you were surprised that a scheduling tool lets you enter start and/or finish and/or durations for tasks but, nevertheless, here is the answer to your question.

First of all, all date fields contain a date and time. The display of this information is controlled by Tools | Options | View-tab and look for the Date Format drop down where you can select the display you want.

To enter the full date and time, you'll need to find out what format your machine is using for dates. Control Panel | Regional and Language settings. My machine uses mm dd yy.

To enter a date and time, click on a date cell; in the data entry area enter the date and time as, for example, 09-14-05 14:55 to get September 14, 2005, 2:55pm.

Try this entry: 09-15-05 17:55 -- What was displayed? Why did that happen?

Thanks a lot PDQBach. Actually I found the same answer on the mricrosoft forum. But thanks again to take the time to help me.

It's work now.
yushi53

MSProject has a very powerful scheduling engine, and it does allow the user to specify start and finish dates for tasks, as well as constraints (as soon as possible, as late as possible, start no earlier than, must finish on, etc.).

Ideally, however, the user should specify only durations for tasks, then link the tasks together (determine predecessors and successors), and let the tool calculate the start and finish dates for the tasks.

We don't live in an ideal world, though, and there are sometimes instances when we need to specify dates manually. MSproject allows the user to do this, but they should be very careful and understand all of the implications of imposing constraints onto tasks.

Good Luck!

Bill
----------
Got MSProject Questions?
Visit Real-Time Help for Microsoft Project
----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back