Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Did I read this right about changing these settings??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

themrspeedoist

Technical User
Aug 13, 2007
US
In my BIOS setup what can I do with this "PU/PD/+/-"?

The over-clocking with certain processors and motherboards like the only ones I have in my archive have certain voltage and mhz values. They must be usable or the Intel motherboard and Intel processor manufacture would not have these specific options in their specifications. From my readings these values are the range recommended by the Intel manufacture that are in the BIOS setup easily to select it's abilities. BUT I need to be sure these set of values are as it seems. Whereas; the lowest values I shall get the lowest processing speed and by selecting the highest values (voltage and mhz) in the BIOS setup shall be according to Intel the highest Intel manufacture's suggested values results of processing. Did I read this right anyone? Below I have posted the hardware that is in question. It just seems my readings are correct since these are the Intel manufature's values plainly posted in the processor's setup. Just cannot see the manufacture of Intel spending their precious time and money on things that do not compute. I understand throughly the utmost requard to precise choices of values for Intel is too aware of the same and they have chose these values for certain reasons. And we certaintly do not need to tell Intel (the suggested maunufactures settings) that they are wrong and we are right to alter the manufacture's specifications do we? For whom knows better then the manufactures not I? Maybe we will get lucky and have an Intel employee to enlighten us all. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

The Intel D975XBX2 Extreme Series Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor HH80562PH0568M - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor

If I needed to contact the Intel manufacture I would have. BUT I do like the over-clocking in the "TEK" Forum a good start. THE OVER-CLOCKING ACCORDING TO THE HARDWARE MANUFACTURE IS PART OF THE INTEL MANUFACTURE and plays the MAJOR PART AGAIN ACCORDING TO THE INTEL MANUFACTURES. By this time next week when everybody is back from the holidays there shall be an answer. To the "TEK" over-clocking forum just refer to the original question.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

1. I am assuming that you are not a native english speaker, due to the fact that it is pretty hard to discern what you are getting at...

2. we (at least I) usually do not condone overclocking on this FORUM, because it can cause hardware problems elsewhere, which do not seem to be related and can cause DAMAGE to the said CPU and other parts of the system... that is why Linney, pointed you to an OVERCLOCKING FORUM...

3. Intel's CPUs can be overclocked, as some motherboards are not quite correct on their clocking, ie. 400 mhz FSB can be 401 or 403 mhz, nor are all PSUs and mobo's correct on the VOLTAGE, and this is in the manufacturer allowed limitation according to their specs...

I hope this has answered your question...

Guten Rutsch - Happy New Years

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

What it has done has answered my own question in completion. BUT it is clear what I had asked as you seem to be an english orientated pupil. BUT anyone with 2% worth of brains can see that beyond my simple questions when it comes down to all the over-clockers out there, have been at their limits when all I am asking with at least 50 settings for mhz in my case's BIOS alone makes one wonder did Intel have and you think before answering this one have anything in store for them or am I wrong in asking such a simply question. Simple huh? For the special software that Intel insist on being installed that comes with the the motherboard and processor to work in the first place. See sometimes some men test a group before they ask a real question. Sure I do not promote loosing a warranty over any bad moves. This goes without questions. Let's leave the fellow over-clockers to their issues. If I purchase a Dual Intel Xeon Quad Core. In the link that I build. I am sure I can handle it. But I do like the answer "I don't know".
Try it. It works for me. Good slide

frohe Feiertage

Assuming you think I am not understanding the answers. I am surely understanding the questions.

This is not the issue of over-clocking but you do understand. I is much more then this?

1. I am not an ENGLISH ORIENTATED PUPIL... LOL... and what I had meant was that the english you use, it is not really easy to read and figure out what you want to say and mean! and I'm not a native speaker of english myself and I speak/read/write in three languages...

Assuming you think I am not understanding the answers. I am surely understanding the questions.
I am not assuming that you do not understand the answer... and it would be strange, if you did not understand your own QUESTIONS...

3. it does no good to insult people, especially when it is not completely clear from your questions as to what you where getting at...
BUT anyone with 2% worth of brains can see that beyond my simple questions
this can be deemed offensive...
when all I am asking with at least 50 settings for mhz in my case's BIOS alone
now here we are getting clearer on to what you asked about...

4. Yes, Intel does allow overclocking to a certain point. I can only assume as to why INTEL allows it, as I do not work for INTEL, and that assumption is that they want the small percentage of people, who like to overclock and fine tune their PCs for performance, to purchase their motherboards and CPUs... and it does give a small percentage of more computing power, but it comes with it's own problems thereafter, ie. increased heat (cpu) due to higher voltages, length of life (CPU) decreases, and at certain points INSTABILITY of the system...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I would suspect that the CMOS settings that are available on the M/B are for standard settings only to fit a range of processors that the board is designed to use.

I'm not familar with the board or the processor but would expect that there would be documentation with each specifying the limits of normal operation along with a warning of the hazards of setting the operating parameters wrong.

Intel and their distribution chain would be at high risk of returns if they didn't specify exactly how the products were to be used.

I would suggest due to tests we have been running on Intel processors and boards that a maximum increase of 4% of the clock speed is perfectly safe and acceptable. Especially considering that most Intel main boards are actually running at a slower speed as indicated. This can be one or two percent slower as they should be. Yes you can over clock their boards and processors up to 30 % or more by also raising the voltages, however this does reduce the life time of many components and should not really be done under any circumstances.So the best would be to leave it at the factory settings.
Best regards and a prosperous New Year.
Ein frohes Neues Jahr

Jurgen

Besides having pleasure working on my cars and sticking to a horse like fly paper, computers are a much different way to develope in a disabilitating world of communications. Since a computer is the way man communicates. With this said besides the safest settings are "defaults" and best leave it this way does not leave much to say about over-clocking, does it? Since there is a world of literature on the web in reguards to this subject. Maybe this is what it all boils down to. Either case I have the answer from my laboratories' research.
Which brings me to this point. The last entry was the brightest, not to be hard on the others, but to tell the truth on how I feel about the conversationatic precepts so far. Remember drive 100% focus on your driving this New Years. This never hurt anyone yet. And this one I will give you. Using a cellphone or pc while, WHILE you are driving is NOT 100%

HAPPY NEW YEARS MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back