Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DID calls transferred to PSTN, tie up 2 trunk members until call completion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fataldata

Technical User
Nov 14, 2007
US
I believe the subject line is accurate but wanted to ask the forum for confirmation.

Example:
Nortel 81c Software v3

Call comes in to a DID on the system and is answered. Call is then transferred to a DID outside of the system. Once the agent completes the transfer will this call continue to occupy two trunk members until it is completed by the remote parties?

Would this scenario change utilizing SIP trunking?

A standard transfer as you describe will always take up 2 lines, however, most Telco's have the ability to transfer calls through them. This does usually cost for the feature and any charges associated with the call (ie LD calls) You would typically enter a predefined code or flash or similar and enter the transfer number. This will take only one line. Downside is the cost for this service, typically using your own lines is cheaper in the long run, unless you are right on the edge of using up all your existing T-1/PRI trunks and needing another to enable your original scenario. However I assume there is growth projected so the additional circuit would probably be needed soon anyway.

Thanks, I did not know that service was offered through a telco.

I just recently went through trying to enable this between our Avaya and Cisco system and during the investigation I found out how to do it for the PSTN connection too. It sounds like all that would be required it to add TAT (trunk anti-tromboning) to the RCAP on the DCH associated with the PRI where the tromboning is occurring. But, as stated, it has to be enabled at the CO too, in or case it was by default.

Example:

ADAN PRIM DCH 10
BDCH 11
CTYP MSDL
DNUM 10
PORT 0
DES PRIMARY_DCH_10
USR PRI
DCHL 2
OTBF 42
PARM RS422 DTE
DRAT 64KC