Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dictionary 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone05

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
GB
Hiya all

I need to get a copy of all the words in Microsoft Office's dictionary. Anyone know where I can find the dictionary file - if there is one. If there isn't, does anyone know where I could get a copy of it - doesn't have to be an exact match.

Thanks

Clone05

The dictionary files are located in c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\proof. The main, english dictionary file is called mssp3en.lex. I don't know how to open that file staight up. It is not an ascii file. You can add words to the dictionary during a spell check which creates an ascii file called custom.dic and can also create an "exclude" dictionary file to exclude words from the standard dictionary in your spell check. I hope this helps a little. :)

Hiya

Thank you for that technomama.

I have been trying to fing out about how to read lex files. Discovered lots of interesting facts about them, but still don't know how to read them - they appear to be in hex format, but that might just be how the program I use to try an open it tries to read it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Clone05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back