Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dictionary Headers in Indexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmalin

Technical User
Apr 25, 2005
US
I'm using unstructured FM 7.1.

I want to add dictionary-style running headers to my book's Index.

This means that I want the first top-level entry on an index page to appear in the running header for a left-hand page and the *last* top-level entry on an index page to appear in the running header for a right-hand page. As far as I can tell, the only paragraph tag that contains entries is Level1IX. This is automatically generated by FM.

I know how to set up the Running H/F variable to refer to an occurrence of a paragraph tag on the page, so I set up my left-hand header to be <$paratext[Level1IX]> and my right-hand header to be <$paratext[+,Level1IX]>.

This works, *sort of*. I do get the right entry, but I also get the locator (page number). Do I have a way in FM to get the entry but *not* the page number?

It really isn't possible to do *automatic* dictionary-style headers in indexes.

I discovered this from a colleague who is an Adobe-certified FM guru.

You can do manual dictionary-style headers by putting the actual entry in a marker and then using the marker in the header. However, this assumes that you've completed and paginated the index.

You can also "force" automatic dictionary-style headers if you use level 2 entries as your "main" entries and use level 1 entries as "superentries" without page numbers. You can then use the Level 1 entries in the headers and they won't display page numbers.

You might also consider using the GroupTitlesIX paragraph tag in the headers. That tag contains the letter "header" for each section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back