Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dictionary Compatibility with CR 8.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SApple

Programmer
Sep 28, 2000
US
We are currently using CR 7.0 and are considering setting up Crystal Dictionaries for sets of reports. When we upgrade to CR 8.0 in a few months, does anyone know how the Dictionaries will convert/translate? We are also considering getting into Info 7.5 at some point and wonder if that will have any impact on the Dictionaries...I hate to go down the Dictionary road if we have to jetison it later!

From what I've tried, it seems that Dictionaries could also take the place of basic SQL stored procedures as well...correct or no?

I've checked the KnowledgeBase and can't seem to find much info on Dictionaries, except here in this forum, where I understand that Dictionaries are rather rudimentary.

Thanks for your advice, and happy holidays!

Dictionaries have been orphaned by SCR - further development work on them was halted after v5 I think. I would recommend moving away from them, not expanding your use of them. Malcolm
Remember, if it wasn't for electricity, we'd be surfing the net by candlelight.

Sapple: Contrary to MalcolmW's posting Dictionaries still exist (called Info Views in Info). SCRv8 will simply read in a v7 dictionary and use it without change - Info 7.5 uses SCR8 technology so should do the same - you can swap from DC5 to CIV by just saving with appropriate extension BUT you can't include Row and Column Security in a CIV if you want to save it as a DC5 David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

I have heard some unnofficial scoop that dictionaries will (finally) be upgraded with the next version of CR.

Dictionaries for CR have been stuck in the dark ages since V5. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

Thanks, everyone...I just might proceed with the Dictionaries solution to this problem. I appreciate everyone's input!

Sarah Applegate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back