Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dialup networking asking for domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcguinne

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
IE
We use dialup networking to connect to our customers systems. In one particular case a colleague is presented with a dialog that asks for the username, password and domain. This is after he has filled in the correct username and password and clicked connect. No matter what is put into the domain field a connection cannot be established. When I dialup that particular number on my PC, I get connected straight away. We can see no difference in the dialup networking settings for that number on the two PCs. The same problem is happening to a supplier trying to connect to one of our systems.

Any idea how to persuade Windows not to ask for the domain?

Hello mcguinne, I believe you have an issue with bindings. If you go to your dialup networking folder and the goto the properties of that connection (the one u use to connect to that computer) then depending on the Operating system (this is for Windows 95) you can change which protocol binds first. Make sure that netBEUI binds before TCP/IP. If that does not help then try removing and reloading both protocols. Hope that gets you going.

BIG E

Hi BIG E,

Thanks for your response.

We went to create a new dialup networking connection to check if we could remove NetBEUI and NetBEUI wasn't even set up. All we had was TCP/IP & Client for Microsoft Networks. We even unchecked Client for Microsoft Networks, and no change - we are still asked for the domain. We are running Windows 2000 on the machine on which this happens.

I don't know what's on the machine that we are dialing into.

Regards,

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back