Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialup Disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popsea

MIS
Jun 24, 2002
US
Our Windows 2000 users are under policy which prevents them from adding their own dialup connections. For the users that need to dialup to our network (Mainly our laptop users.) and some third party apps on some of our desktops, we login as an Admin, create the dialup account for All Users and then log back in as the user. The problem is the dialup account disappears after a week or two and appears to be completely random. It happens with our laptops and our desktops. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.

Do the users have rights to delete the connection? Are you putting the icon in the all users and default users folder?

I'm not sure if they have the right to delete it. I will check on that one. But I doubt they would if they knew how? And yes, The icon is being created for all users with a shortcut to it on their desktop.

another posibility is that your network is being attacked bt RATs'.there is an epidemis of these attacks-remote acess terminal' applications can remove your software,or,ect....
i recommend pest control and ZONEALARM- available for free trial*
they block 98% of these nasty buggers! and are the most for your buck'...
i was missing sound vol 32.exe ,among others-soon as i downloaded and set my windows to auto update-
ZZZZap- im back to normal.
im very aware of my system and its software- i found this all myself luckily- even a pro wont deny these appz are wickedly scielent- they hack the net-bios...
the only downside is once you dl these appz-
you wont get to play with rats and see what they can do-
*** i never suggest anything illegal or wrong so dont hack' or nose into others buisness- i believe these appz are federally monitored- or damn well should be...
when i used net trace i found most attacks were random from asia and africa...probably random attacks..
good luck !!! :)

We are in a firewalled environment and that is not an issue. The dialup they are using dials into Corporate so they never are really outside the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back