Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialup connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodus300

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
AU
The other day my dialup connection stopped working (it connected, but would not send any data). I removed the protocol thingies in Network properties and reinstalled them, which got the connection working again. But when I try reinstalling Internet Connection Sharing, the connection stops working again (as before, not sending any data). I can only seem to have one working at a time: ICS or a working connection.
As far as I can see, all settings are correct for the network connection and the dialup connection. I have tried setting up manually, and with the Home Networking Wizard in WinME.
This is a very frustrating problem, please help me get my dialup connection working with ICS again!

(PS: I am using Windows Me as the host, with a Win98 machine as the ICS client. This worked perfectly before, till my computer totally screwed up, then I formatted it, but the connection was working OK with ICS after that.) [pc3]

I don't have a solution, but i would like to offer a tip. I would use the win 98 machine as the host because win 98 is more stable as far as interent sharing goes(from personal experience)

Good Luck

I didn't think you could use a win98 machine as a host (I read that in a computer magazine) [pc3]

Actualy, now that I think about it. switching it woulc cause you even more pain. So don't worry about it.

You might try posting this in the ethernet forum, as they are used to these kind of problems.

Good Luck

I had a similar problem that's been driving me nuts. I was able to connect to internet but couldn't transmit data. After hours and hours of head scratching and research I finally found a registry key that was a remnant of the Zone Alarm Firewall which I had removed BEFORE MY DIALUP QUIT WORKING. I deleted the registry entry and got back my internet connection.

Sorry, but I'm not using ICS.

Hope this helps.

patti

OK, now the connections working with ICS enabled, but the other machine still can't access the internet.
I upgraded the ohter machine to windows ME.
When I run the networking wizard on the client, it removes TCP/IP for the network card, and leaves it ther only for the dialup adapter. But you need it for the network card to use the network, right? So I add TCP/IP for the network card again and the network works, but still no internet for that machine.
Both computers are running zonealarm, But I noticed that I can't access the other computer via my network places unless I kill zonealarm on the other computer. My computer does ask if Internet Connection Sharing Manager can access the local network.
[pc3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back