Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialog box display properties don't 'stick'

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinsw

Technical User
Dec 25, 2000
NZ
Hi

When viewing say the My Documents\My Pictures directory in a file open dialog box, the contents are always displayed as thumbnails. You can change View mode to use List, Details or whatever, but next time you open the same dialog box, the thumbnail view has returned. You can replicate this behaviour by loading Internet Explorer, select File Open and navigate to My Pictures. All picture files in that directory will be displayed as thumbnails.

All other 'normal' folders are displayed according to what ever view mode you have selected.

How does one make the selected folder settings stick?

This is not specific to my machine, it appears to be something that occurs on 'all' XP based systems. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to check again Win2k. My machine is a 3GHz P4 on an Intel 865GL m/board running WinXP Pro SP2.

Open 'windows explorer' select the 'tools' menu and then select 'folder options' open the 'view' tab look in the advanced settings listbox for the option 'Remember each folders view settings' and tick it then press the 'Apply to all folders button' above. This should fix your problems.

John

Hey

thanx for the input but sorry that solution won't work. You'll notice that my original message mention this behaviour was occuring in a dialog box. Perhaps try the example I gave and see for yourself, whatever folder view properties that have been set in Explorer do not seem to apply to dialogs for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back